The Batman (spoilers)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It occurs to me that Batman did not succeed at anything in this movie. He solved some riddles after each crime, but didn't prevent a single crime. Didn't catch the Riddler. He was just playing catch up until Riddler let himself be caught. Didn't stop the final bomb plan. The one thing he did was help some folks out of the wreckage at the end, but that was his only accomplishment in this film. It's like Raiders of the Lost Ark (where Indy achieves nothing in the whole movie).

Still loved it though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A friend referred to the opening sequence as the greatest Batman short film in history, and I have to agree. Watching the movie now.
It reminded me of so many comic book openings. A traditional Batman 'I am the night' voiceover.

Also, it's Taxi Driver.

Bolares

Hero
It occurs to me that Batman did not succeed at anything in this movie. He solved some riddles after each crime, but didn't prevent a single crime. Didn't catch the Riddler. He was just playing catch up until Riddler let himself be caught. Didn't stop the final bomb plan. The one thing he did was help some folks out of the wreckage at the end, but that was his only accomplishment in this film. It's like Raiders of the Lost Ark (where Indy achieves nothing in the whole movie).

Still loved it though.
He saved all that people at the end, when they were going to be eletrocuted.

Stalker0

Legend

Still loved it though.
We could argue that ultimately is the character development of this Batman.

His whole "I am Vengeance" schtick is NOT working, and that is reiterated across the movie. His beat up the bad guys routine ultimately fails, and in fact, is encouraging new psychopaths. Only when he changes gears to start helping the innocent instead of punishing the guilty, does he finally gain victory.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Just saw it now. I really enjoyed how it did so many origin stories without having to start at square one. All these characters are on their way to becoming who they famously will be. I love John Turturro and he really brought it in this. Colin Farrell I have liked for along time and his penguin was great too. My only complaint for actors was Jefferey Wright's Gordon, though I blame the writing. His Gordon basically serves as a get bats in and out of places and a plot mover. Even more annoying was the parts he says things out loud that I am clearly reading on the screen. I saw the movie alone, but it was like I was watching it with the slowest person I know and having to explain to them what's happening constantly (you know the type).

Davies

Legend
Except, you know, saving Marion from someone who would have tortured and murdered her.

Remove ads