D&D 5E The best solution for longswords

Faolyn

(she/her)
and there was a tool (musical instruments) that provided the exact same functionality as a skill (performance) but only made it applicable in a much smaller number of cases-- cases that were barely ever going to show up in the first place.
You can use Perform for things other than musical instruments (acting, oration, singing, etc.), but yeah, there's still too much overlap between the two.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
There isn't anything medieval they call a short sword, and even Classical era swords like the gladius aren't that short. There are big daggers like the cinquedea but they're not swords.
The gladius is the prime example people use for a short sword, isn't it?

A gladius has a blade length of 18-27 inches. 1E gives a short sword as having a blade length from 15-24 inches, IIRC. So I think it's allowing for some other Ancient/Classical swords as well which were a little shorter.

S'mon

Legend
The gladius is the prime example people use for a short sword, isn't it?

A gladius has a blade length of 18-27 inches. 1E gives a short sword as having a blade length from 15-24 inches, IIRC. So I think it's allowing for some other Ancient/Classical swords as well which were a little shorter.
At least per ScholaGladiatoria/Matt Easton who I trust, gladius was around 28" blade length. I had previously thought they were shorter. Do you have a source esp for 18"?

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
At least per ScholaGladiatoria/Matt Easton who I trust, gladius was around 28" blade length. I had previously thought they were shorter. Do you have a source esp for 18"?
The figures I'm finding online for the Pompeii Gladius are a 45-50cm blade- 17.7"-19.7". Four examples having been found at Pompeii, and more turning up elsewhere. The Mainz Gladius and Fulham Gladius I'm seeing 50-55 centimeters- between 19.7" and 21.7". Similar to the earlier Greek Xiphos.

The Gladius Hispaniensis had a blade of 24"-27" and was the longer version. I imagine that's what Easton was looking at and probably has a replica of.

Remove ads