D&D 4E The Best Thing from 4E

What are your favorite 4E elements?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I chose atwills, skill challenges and other.

Atwills I chose to mean the entire power type structure of 4e, and the round by round variety/custimizability. IT's the main thing that made it so that even two members of the same class, with the same feature selections, could play miles different from eachother in game.

Skill challenges are a thing I now use in every game, especially the advice on how to combine them with combat to build an encounter.

Other. Encounter building. I guess this is related to consistent math, but IMO it's a thing in itself. The ease of encounter building is amazing. The system is robust enough that I can wing it with complete ease. I target the level of the characters, check my cheat sheet for how much XP the budget should be, and throw monster at it until I'm within a kobold or so of that budget, up or down. Yeah, I ended up halving all monster hp to make combat shorter and the math scaling work better, but that's a tweak.
But it's not just the math that makes it so easy, or so fulfilling. It's also the monster roles, especially solo and minion (although at mid to high levels you gotta houserule solo in some way to make it keep working. I chose extra save attempts and using action points between player turns) roles, and the general setup of monster stat blocks.

Oh, and number 4, because why not, is power structure. By which I mean the way powers are formatted. I love being able to eyeball powers and know what they did, to the point where I can look at a collection of powers and know within moments what a character can do, what will challenge them and what they'll stomp all over.

Sure, I wish that more of the powers were shared resources between power sources, and thus there were just fewer of them, and I wish the progression gave an extra atwill or two per tier and definately more utility powers, but that's all quibbly little stuff I'd fix if building a 4.5.

Tuzenbach

First Post
For me, it's a timing issue.

I've been playing D&D since 1979. Played 1E a lot from the early eighties to around 1994 or so. I didn't start to get into 2E until around 1999/2000. Then real life took over, along with the release of 3E. All of a sudden, there were rules upon rules and I had a very difficult time merely building a character. I put everything on hold again in 2005, attempting to go back to school for something seemingly lucrative. Then I started studying the stock market (2008). When I was ready to revisit D&D, I find out that 5E had just been released.

Thus.....

The best part of 4E, for me, is that I never had to spend a dime acquiring products that I would have convinced myself were absolutely essential for playing "up to date D&D"...... LoL, I never had the time to get sucked into it!!!

:)

The best part of 4E, for me, is that I never had to spend a dime acquiring products that I would have convinced myself were absolutely essential for playing "up to date D&D"...... LoL, I never had the time to get sucked into it!!!

Maybe that's a bad thing, it could be the ideal edition of D&D for you ;)

Jessica

First Post
I voted for almost everything except simplified alignments. I think they should have either scrapped alignments or kept the full nine alignment system. The five alignment system was just really....weird?

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I voted for almost everything except simplified alignments. I think they should have either scrapped alignments or kept the full nine alignment system. The five alignment system was just really....weird?
I think the weirdness is the contrast with that neat and visually satisfying 3x3 grid. I'm not quite satisfied with the way that the nine alignments are defined and tied into the game rules -- in any edition -- but that grid definitely holds a nostalgic place in my heart!

Jessica

First Post
I think the weirdness is the contrast with that neat and visually satisfying 3x3 grid. I'm not quite satisfied with the way that the nine alignments are defined and tied into the game rules -- in any edition -- but that grid definitely holds a nostalgic place in my heart!

I agree. I think alignments are a lot better when they are descriptive rather than prescriptive and have no mechanics tied to them. That 3x3 does have so much nostalgia to me though that we still used it a lot in our 4e games.

I agree. I think alignments are a lot better when they are descriptive rather than prescriptive and have no mechanics tied to them. That 3x3 does have so much nostalgia to me though that we still used it a lot in our 4e games.

I think the idea was to free the game from being enslaved to the 2-axis alignment system, but not to really make it go away like you can't have it.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
You want a wizard with a sword in 4E? No problem. "I'm a staff wizard. To all intents and purposes, I'm a staff wizard. It just looks like I'm holding a sword." Done. Just a matter of refluffing. And sure, buy the guy a sword to hold. Let him use it in an off-hand if he spends the correct feats. He can even make in a magic sword, and take Dual Implement Spellcaster to apply the damage bonus. No problem.
One player wanted to be a very dragon-like dragonborn. So he played a wizard, using all the normal rules, but it looked like he was constantly using his breath weapon. "I breath cone of cold. I breath magic missile. I breath burning hands." or whatever.
4e made that type of re-fluffing incredibly easy.

pemerton

Legend
I think it was really a version of classic spectrum alignment from B/X and similar editions, superimposed on top of a cosmology designed to give the spectrum some sort of significant heft (gods vs primordials). Looked at this way, I think it makes sense.

But it won't make any sense transposed into a different context or cosmology. But, then, I think that 9-point alignment frames the key conflict in the game in a particular way also.

You want a wizard with a sword in 4E? No problem. "I'm a staff wizard. To all intents and purposes, I'm a staff wizard. It just looks like I'm holding a sword." Done. Just a matter of refluffing. And sure, buy the guy a sword to hold. Let him use it in an off-hand if he spends the correct feats. He can even make in a magic sword, and take Dual Implement Spellcaster to apply the damage bonus. No problem.
One player wanted to be a very dragon-like dragonborn. So he played a wizard, using all the normal rules, but it looked like he was constantly using his breath weapon. "I breath cone of cold. I breath magic missile. I breath burning hands." or whatever.
4e made that type of re-fluffing incredibly easy.

Oh, I entirely agree, 4e is awesome in this regard, and if you can get the players to swallow it then many things become quite a bit easier. Unfortunately, a LOT of players, maybe even a majority, are completely stuck on the names of things, and won't budge.

Remove ads