The big deal about grapple

Cevalic

First Post
When 4th edition was announced they made such a big deal about simplifying grapple and the like, I found it odd that they didnt include it in the quick start rules. Does anyone have an idea of how it works now? Or are we going to have to wait for the 6th? Thanks in advance.

Serensius

Explorer
I do believe it is Str vs. Ref, which immobilizes a creature within one size category of you. Doesn't provoke an OA.

EDIT: Ops, it was Str.

EDIT II: This is from the Quick Play Rules from Raiders of Oakhurst.

SpydersWebbing

First Post
They had already talked about that. It's Str or Dex (can't remember which) vs. Ref. No attacks of oppurtunity mentioned from what I can remember.

If someone could back up my source on that one, that would be appreciated.

Blackeagle

First Post
The grab rules are on page 46 of the KotS book. They're presented in the context of the Zombie Grab ability, but I'd say this is pretty much what the grappling rules in 4e are going to look like.

MindWanderer

First Post
It helps to know that "grapple" no longer exists. It's "grab" now.

At DDXP, I was told: Str vs. Reflex to inititiate, causes target to be immobilized. You have to remain adjacent to them. They can escape with Athletics vs. Fort or Acrobatics vs. Reflex, I believe as a move action.

Zil

Explorer
Cevalic said:
When 4th edition was announced they made such a big deal about simplifying grapple and the like, I found it odd that they didnt include it in the quick start rules. Does anyone have an idea of how it works now? Or are we going to have to wait for the 6th? Thanks in advance.
Grapple is a daily power option for fighters.

Just kidding. I haven't heard or read anything on 4E grapple. Guess we'll know more on the 6th.

AntiPaladin

First Post
I would speculate that they renamed it for a couple reasons:

1. Grab is shorter and easier to say, in line with change from "attack of opportunity" to "opportunity attack."
2. You aren't really grappling them with this maneuver, it literally is just a grab. To me, grappling would include more than just keeping them immobilized, see advanced fighter powers/feats for more details.

Remove ads