• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Case of the Shrinking Cadbury Eggs

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Thornir Alekeg said:
It is all part of a conspiracy by health activists to get us to consume less candy.

Hey, if I have to meld this with the Secret Societies thread, someone is likely to get either "disappeared" or inducted, and I don't think we want either of those to happen....

Fishbone

First Post
Inflation at 13 percent? More like a third that. If inflation was at 13 percent
there would be a nationwide depression, a worldwide recession, and violence in the streets.
This is just the candy makers pulling a fast one.

frankthedm

First Post
Well, it's after Easter, the price on them just dropped 50% anyways. Within a week, they should be available for 1/8th retail.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
A bunch of ice cream companies did this a while back.

Breyer's (and others) don't sell by the 1/2 gallon anymore, now it's 1.75 quarts.

Bastards!

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
DaveMage said:

Breyer's (and others) don't sell by the 1/2 gallon anymore, now it's 1.75 quarts.

Bastards!
One of my favorites recently was the new Poland Spring bottle of water. The hyped the new shape of their clear bottle; how it is easier to grip and pour, the fact that it is stackable, but the most important fact they left out is that it went down from 1 gallon to 3 liters (about 0.8 gallons), but costs the same as the older gallon jug.

What I like even better is that on their website, the new 3 liter bottle appears to be larger than the milk jug-style gallon bottle.

Mr. Beef

First Post
DaveMage said:

Bastards!

The local (at least for Texas) ice cream company, Blue Bell, has kept their ice cream in the 1/2 Gallon container. I don't know if it costs more or not since we only get it when it's on sale. Otherwise I just get Ice Cream Sandwiches from the Wal-Mart Grocery. A package of 12 Ice Cream Sandwiches is $2.39, and I don't have to worry about portion sizes and my Diabetes.

Mr. Beef

First Post
I can't vouch for the Creme Egg thing because I don't eat those anymore, (Devil Woman gave me Diabetes!) but things have been shrinking and costing the same price recently.

I was let down back in the late 90's that soda distributors stopped selling six packs of 20oz bottles of soda at grocery stores in favor of the 16.9 oz bottles. You can still get the 20oz bottles at gas stations and 7-11's, but they are more expensive, and are singles rather than six packs. They call the 16.9oz bottles half-liters (I know that's the amount for the half liter) and charge the exact same, or more, for a 6 pack of half-liters than a six pack of the 20oz bottles.

I've also noticed that if the size of something stays the same, then the price will go up. I'm a hairstylist by trade, and when I used to go to the distributor, a 3oz tube of haircolor used to cost $4.55 two years ago. That same size tube today costs $5.25. That's an increase of about 11.65% in two years. That's still cheaper than using haircolor from the drug store, and the color results are pretty consistent for the stuff from the distributor. You also get an average of 3 uses out of a tube of color instead of a one off from the drug store color.

I think it's official, the price for something is going up even though we have modern production technology, and packaging; we're going to pay for that as companies use them.

Remove ads