The D&D Edition Complexity Thread- How do you order Edition Complexity?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
In some ways 4E would be higher, but it's simplicity of having things spelled out covered over a complexity of implementation. Lots of tracking of statuses, auras, conditions.

I had totally forgotten the not-joy of trying to remember the 5 conditions that lasted "until the end of this creatures next turn" that were always floating around during combat that kept getting overlooked. This was incredibly complex to keep straight. I now officially shift my 4e rating one step closer to More Complex swapping spots with BECMI.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Yes they are different, but I don't know how much.

Some websleuthing finds a webpage from 2010 asking this question. Here is the most detailed reply for the difference between B/X and BE(not CMI)

• copying scrolls into one's spellbook/limit on spells known
  • thief skill percentages
  • thieves lose two-handed weapons in BECMI
  • cleric spell chart
  • elf spell chart
  • inclusion of description of the detect invisible spell (not a change per se)
  • fighters start getting multiple attacks at 9th level not 15th, but need a minimum of 2 to hit foe which also means that multiple attacks are done at the same target
  • encumbrance computation
  • thrown weapons get str adjustment to damage
  • turn undead duration of 1-10 rounds + reaction check in BECMI (missed in the RC)

If you want to say they aren't the same game I won't argue with you...but if those are the BIG differences i'm calling it the same game as much as 3.0 and 3.X are. I understand that the (not CMI) is why people find B/X the simplest game.

Shiroiken

Legend
There's 2 different ways of looking at it: from a player or DM. Most editions it doesn't make much of a difference, but 4E was much harder to DM for me than it was to just play. OD&D would be harder to be a player IMO, since you didn't really have any idea of how the rules would play out (a lot of DM fiat, since there were no exploration rules). The following will try to take both into consideration

Most difficult to Simplest
1E - this was super complicated on both sides of the screen
OD&D - harder for players, but still complicated for both
3E - overall complicated to design encounters and lots of math
2E - easier than most, but still has lots of charts
BECMI - a simplified system that became overly complicated
4E - easy system to play, but harder to setup as a DM
5E - super simple system that can be easily DMed and ran
B/X - a simple system by design that can be DMed or played by pre-teens

3e might have more stuff but 2e is more difficult. I started on 2e about 25+ years ago and I still can't figure out how the armor system works

JeffB

Legend
Is this set (The B in B/X?)
View attachment 117974
different from this set (The B in BECMI?)
View attachment 117975
in ways other than artwork and layout?

In other words is there a difference between the B/X and BE(with no CMI)?

There are some minor mechanical differences and changes in tables/charts/math.

However the real issue is the CMI in BECMI and it completely changes the complexity and gameplay.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'd put 3.5 next. Yes, it was a unholy mess of feats, bonuses, stupidly high numbers. If I went back to it I'd limit everyone to the main core books and never touch later expansions as much fun as I had with them.
One caveat...if I went back to play 3.5, I would use ONLY the later books, and exclude the core. The core was where 90% of the imbalance was. Games where your casters were beguilers and warmages were actually pretty fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases