D&D General The "DM's PC"

Mercurius

Legend
What I mean is a frequently used NPC that either is an ally or even a member of the party. Obviously it is just an NPC, although if it is a multi-DM campaign, I suppose it could also be the DM's PC when they play. In the past I have sometimes used such an NPC, whether to flesh out party ranks, to be a source of information or guidance in some way, or just add a bit of regular interaction.

How have you done this? Again, I'm not talking about the countless NPCs - even frequent contacts - that the PCs will encounter, but one that is either a member of the party, or perhaps regularly drops in and out of contact. Are they just another party member or do you use them as a source of info dumping when necessary (e.g. Gandalf), or somewhere in-between? What problems have arisen? Etc.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
What I mean is a frequently used NPC that either is an ally or even a member of the party. Obviously it is just an NPC, although if it is a multi-DM campaign, I suppose it could also be the DM's PC when they play. In the past I have sometimes used such an NPC, whether to flesh out party ranks, to be a source of information or guidance in some way, or just add a bit of regular interaction.

How have you done this? Again, I'm not talking about the countless NPCs - even frequent contacts - that the PCs will encounter, but one that is either a member of the party, or perhaps regularly drops in and out of contact. Are they just another party member or do you use them as a source of info dumping when necessary (e.g. Gandalf), or somewhere in-between? What problems have arisen? Etc.

As a general rule, I do not like DM NPCs. It almost never goes well.

I have two exceptions that I have used in the past.

1. The deus ex machina. In a few campaigns, I have included a "DM NPC" that was a specific plot point that would accompany the adventurers in order to accomplish a specific goal.

2. The "retired PC." When PCs get super powerful, they can be retired and become setting NPCs; when they are encountered again, they are "DM NPCs" and can be interacted with on a limited basis.

Again, I don't like DM NPCs. If a DM wants to play, they should rotate duties or join another game as a player. I've seen far too many campaigns go astray when a DM oversteps their bounds with a DM NPCs and I think it's best to avoid the temptation.

Mercurius

Legend
As a general rule, I do not like DM NPCs. It almost never goes well.

I have two exceptions that I have used in the past.

1. The deus ex machina. In a few campaigns, I have included a "DM NPC" that was a specific plot point that would accompany the adventurers in order to accomplish a specific goal.

2. The "retired PC." When PCs get super powerful, they can be retired and become setting NPCs; when they are encountered again, they are "DM NPCs" and can be interacted with on a limited basis.

Again, I don't like DM NPCs. If a DM wants to play, they should rotate duties or join another game as a player. I've seen far too many campaigns go astray when a DM oversteps their bounds with a DM NPCs and I think it's best to avoid the temptation.

Yeah, I agree on the potential--and common--problem, although think it often arises when the NPC is used as a deus ex machina. I think what you are suggesting in your 1st point is something a bit different than that term.

As far as the 2nd point goes, I'm doing something very similar in my upcoming campaign, but with a twist. I moved back to my old area and am reviving a group that hasn't played together in about five years. I'm designing a new campaign setting, that is essentially the same world advanced centuries and after an apocalyptic event. One of the PCs from the previous campaign--the only continuous one from level 1 to 15 (or whenever we stopped--has actually ascended and become a demigod, and may show up at various times. I might try to be coy and not reveal the connection, and let them figure it out on their own, but it probably will be hard to not make it two obvious.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

I've done this a few times when an extra party member is needed or wanted, and played where one was used. Personally, I would avoid using such an NPC as an info source very strongly. That turns into a crutch. Instead, I formulate a strong but simple personality for the NPC, one that is easy and clear to characterize and that give the NPC a backbone so that everyone at the table can guess what that PC will do in a given situation. Then, I try very hard to not deviate from that. This makes the NPC a predictable part of the game that can be relied upon by the players but doesn't act as the GM's plot helper.

For instance, I had an NPC Light cleric when I ran SKT because the party was all martials and one warlock and four strong. I like 5 strong parties because it significantly reduces bad luck swinginess and provides more stable depth, so I offered an NPC which the party accepted. The NPC would avoid melee, blast before heal unless someone was badly hurt or down, and wasn't very bright so wasn't a reliable source of knowledge skill use. I fleshed this out in bonds and traits for easy handles on the NPC. The NPC also had a gambling flaw, which mostly occurred offscreen in that the NPC, regardless of any treasure received, only ever had about 10 gold on them. This was shown in play by the NPC offering bets on outlandish things and usually taking the longshot. The resulted in a solid fifth party member that shored up a weakness without becoming a crutch for the party. At no point did the NPC have knowledge specific to the adventure before the PCs did. The players enjoyed the NPC, but she never outshone them or was used as a plot device.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yeah, I agree on the potential--and common--problem, although think it often arises when the NPC is used as a deus ex machina. I think what you are suggesting in your 1st point is something a bit different than that term.

Based on a fictional work; the NPC wasn't integrated into the party, but was more of an "object" to be activated. It had a function at a set point, and it also had the ability to "help" the party one time (sort of a "wish" or "divine intercession" spell) but did not otherwise interact.

It worked out well, but, of course, the party never invoked the one-use "help" because they always were saving it for something more important, even though some PCs ended up perma-killed. It's kind of funny how that works.

I strongly disagree with the use of DM NPCs as noted; although there are occasions when the PCs will have hireling or henchmen; if they become integrated into the party, then they go under player control.

Again, I've just seen a lot of DMs have a blind spot about this. No DM ever thinks that their DM NPC is a problem. It's only other tables. Kinda like how everyone is a great driver- it's all the other maniacs out there.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Like @Snarf Zagyg mentioned, hireling and henchmen are common enough. I treat DM PCs in that light and almost never make them any stronger or with more unique powers than the PCs. But, when someone is absent or the party is short, they can plug a hole and act as a reward for gamers who make strong connections in the game world. And, keeping them alive is usually important as, when plugging a hole, they may be the skilled forester who keeps them from getting lost, or the only one who can purify the tainted water in this region while they travel, and so on.

I've used DMPCs in the past but, IME, Hirelings and Henchmen are the way to go. Let the players control the party - the DM has enough dealing with everything else! The one caveat being to make sure their is some kind of morale mechanic for said Hirelings and Henchmen, juuuust in case. I've found, though, that the party usually develops an affinity for these hirelings and henchmen and goes out of their way to make sure they are treated well.

Weiley31

Legend
In my current campaign, I do have a DM PC/NPC who is basically the one that has hired/gotten the party in their current situation. Yes he's Level 10 as he's already a seasoned mercenary/retired adventurer. That being said, I don't really plan on having him traveling with the party much on quests as he's pre occupied running a town and trying to assist in the rebuilding of Neverwinter. He may help out in one or two quests, but so far he's there as a framework.

The party is currently level 3. I do intend for the party to surpass said DM PC/NPC in power as they become accomplished adventurers as well. For now though, they are gonna have to pull their weight.

Now I may provide Sidekicks to the party to help out in certain quests and I am thinking about letting the party control them in regards to combat or providing support.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
I'm currently running Curse of Strahd as a solo adventure with the one player using some quick-and-dirty "gestalt" rules. He also has a sidekick (using the UA sidekick rules).

During combat, the player runs the NPC, but I provide the voice. That said, the NPC is, rather explictly, a sidekick. Think Lefou from Disney's Beauty and the Beast.

It works. The trick is to make sure the NPC is supporting the PC(s), and not the hero. By handing over the character sheet (or in this case, the NPC sheet) to have the player run helps emphasize this, as even when the NPC does something cool in combat, it's the player taking the action, not the GM.

Remove ads