The easiest & quickest RPGs?

3catcircus

Adventurer
I hear that either Rolemaster or Mythus/Dangerous Journeys are two pretty good picks... Sadly, Mythus is out of print.

Also, if Modern is more your cup of tea, give Phoenix Command a try...

Pbartender

First Post
Henry said:
I am surprised no one has mentioned RISUS yet. I've never played it, but Rel (and Ethernaut? Can't recall if that's correct) both swear by it as an incredibly easy game system. Its rulebook is six pages, including pictures.

I've played it... Lot's of fun. You can learn to play it in less than 5 minutes, character generation included.

Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I was going to post RISUS, but you beat me to it. Damn you Henry! (and yes, Ethernaut is the RISUS pusher...) Here is is: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm All of 6 pages, and will do anything you want. From one shots to campaigns, it's flexible enough to handle any genre, and you can read the whole thing in less than 10 minutes, and understand it too!
I actually read the mailing list for RISUS and I'd say Risus is simple but also subtle. It usually takes a Eureka-style epiphany to fully grok Risus's cliche concept. Usually first-timers see Risus and think they have to add a rule here or there (or a whole bunch a rules) in order to fix Risus. They post their miracle fixes on the mailing list will tell them "or you could just do it by the book". and somehow that phrase works like a zen koan and the pupil attains enlightenment.

OTOH, there is no wrong way to play Risus.

Twowolves

Explorer
3catcircus said:
I hear that either Rolemaster or Mythus/Dangerous Journeys are two pretty good picks... Sadly, Mythus is out of print.

Also, if Modern is more your cup of tea, give Phoenix Command a try...

That's just mean !!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads