The EN World IRON DM 2019 Tournament Scheduling Thread

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Do you create your own adventures for your gaming group?
Do you play a variety of different roleplaying games, in a variety of campaign settings?
Are you a creative writer looking to polish your skills?
Do you love stories and storytelling?
Do you love weird stories and storytelling?

If you answered "Yes" to any of those questions, I'd like to invite you to join the 2019 Iron DM writing contest! There's room for just three more people. Leave a message in this thread and get scheduled!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Perhaps a demonstration might help to convince some folks to give it a try. So I'll extend an offer to our competitors, our alternates, and anyone else who might be following this thread: an exhibition match, right here in this thread. Everyone is welcome to participate! I'm not gonna set a time limit or word limit because this is just for fun, and it might help to give folks a ready example of just what goes on in this weird and wacky thing.

Write an Adventure Using Each of The Following Six Ingredients:
  • City of Angels
  • Masked Queen
  • Get Good
  • Tan Jacket
  • Soft Serve
  • Twisty Little Passages

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Write an Adventure Using Each of The Following Six Ingredients:
  • City of Angels
  • Masked Queen
  • Get Good
  • Tan Jacket
  • Soft Serve
  • Twisty Little Passages
Okay, here we go in ten twenty minutes...
The Egyptian Museum in Los Angeles, California is very excited about its latest exhibit, the mummy of Queen Bektamun, the "Masked Queen." But just days before the mummy is to go on display, the sarcophagus goes missing...apparently stolen by the infamous master thief, Walter Good! Their only clues are a soft serve yogurt container left behind at the scene of the crime from a popular dessert shop near the subway, and a tailor's sales receipt for a tan jacket in size 44L...and if the party puts those clues together, they learn that Good's hideout is in the old subway, at Platform 44. The party of detectives must navigate the twisty little passages of the abandoned subway tunnels beneath LA to get Good and recover the stolen mummy.
A City of Mist adventure for 3-5 characters.
Now, had this been a real Iron DM round, I would have been given a word count to stay under, and 48 hours to work on it. So I would have worked these ingredients a lot harder: maybe try to use each ingredient more than once, somehow make the color of the jacket important, that sort of thing. But as it is, I think it's pretty solid for only 20 minutes and 135 words. :cool:

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Okay, here we go in ten twenty minutes...

The Egyptian Museum in Los Angeles, California is very excited about its latest exhibit, the mummy of Queen Bektamun, the "Masked Queen." But just days before the mummy is to go on display, the sarcophagus goes missing...apparently stolen by the infamous master thief, Walter Good! Their only clues are a soft serve yogurt container left behind at the scene of the crime from a popular dessert shop near the subway, and a tailor's sales receipt for a tan jacket in size 44L...and if the party puts those clues together, they learn that Good's hideout is in the old subway, at Platform 44. The party of detectives must navigate the twisty little passages of the abandoned subway tunnels beneath LA to get Good and recover the stolen mummy.

A City of Mist adventure for 3-5 characters.

Not a bad effort for twenty minutes! I think I remember @Rune once mentioning the very first iteration of this event back in EN World's infancy contestants literally only getting an hour to craft their adventures (in true Iron Chef fashion).

Rune

Once A Fool
True, but by the time I entered my first one a year later, it was up to 24. I never could have hacked it at 1 hour.

@Wicht did the 1 hour matches, though.

Also: Yay! Free practice!

Rune

Once A Fool
Thrall’n Angels

A D&D 5e adventure suitable for mid-level characters

City of Angels
Masked Queen
Get Good
Tan Jacket
Soft Serve
Twisty Little Passages

Windborne Prophesy

Twisting on the wind: strips of parchment floating minutes, hours, days apart, leading adventurers to destiny, should they but follow. On one side only: a downy grey mold, thus, a twisting curl of parchment. The other side inscribed with a a fragment of a passage, prophesy from scripture holy to the Upper Planes.

These fragments read:

• Lo, the angels would not heed the call were then released from the service of Good and made there home beneath the Heavens. But there was no contentment, for they looked ever upward and yearned.
  • And Rot came upon them, masked as a queen. For Zuggtmoy’s Gift had now the means to enfeeble minds and the will to serve its master.
  • If even angels rot, so too must mortal realms. But redemption may yet be earned, for the outsiders still can unmask the queen and return wits to the fallen.
  • ...but no Fires can harm him whilst he wears his jacket of tan.

City of Thralls

The city, gleaming, reaches for the sky.
  • Excommunion, named in bitterness.
  • Fields are overtaken by fungi, mold, decay. Once-fresh air now rank with rot.
  • Its deva denizens wear mantles of dark growth, have succumbed to the unrelenting feeblemind effect of the Zuggtmoy-gifted fungus. No communicating with these wretches. No understanding. But vast depths of sorrow haunt their eyes.

Within the city, another class rules:
  • Fungi-coated giant wasps infest the city, but are as zombies, their queen is thoroughly controlled by Zuggtmoy’s Gift and, thus, so too are they.
  • Not hostile unless provoked, they will unflaggingly protect Zuggtmoy’s Gift and the queen it wears.
  • [For the wasp-queen, modify the giant wasp as follows: large size, double hp, double damage]

Zuggtmoy’s Gift

The fungus is malevolent and servant to Zuggtmoy’s will. Zuggtmoy, being a fiend, wills that the fallen angels never be given the chance to find redemption. The further spread of rot to come is but a happy byproduct.

Zuggtmoy’s Gift is very dangerous:
  • It spreads across any organic surface. Each contact necessitates a Constitution saving throw to avoid infestation.
  • Soon after failure, the Feeblemind and Dominate Monster attempts begin as it spreads inside the host. These innate abilities are used once per minute.
  • Fortunately, all save DCs are only 12.
  • Direct exposure to fire will instantly kill the exposed portion of fungus, and casting Greater Restoration, Heal, or Wish on the host will do likewise.

Beneath the City

The once-wasp-queen makes her home within a tight maze of moldy tunnels beneath the city. There, she is well-protected by her once-wasp-warriors. Another ally hides with her, unexpected, but a truly effective guard.

A venom troll, mutated through long exposure to yellow mold spores, has formed a symbiotic bond with a hybrid mold of brown and yellow (another gift from Zuggtmoy, from an era far gone).
  • From Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes, or approximate by doubling a regular troll’s hp, giving immunity to poison damage and the poisoned condition, and the Poison Spray cantrip (2d12 damage).]
  • The hybrid tan mold has all of the properties of brown and yellow molds, although only sunlight or cold damage will instantly destroy it, since it is immune to fire. The troll is likewise protected from fire by the mold, which, in turn, consume’s the troll’s body heat. Any damage sustained is regenerated soon enough.
  • Every move the troll makes disturbs the mold, so that, while awake, the troll is perpetually surrounded by a cloud of poisonous spores.

Hope, at the End

All is not hopeless, however. Zuggtmoy’s Gift has robbed the devas of their ability to think and communicate, but their wisdom and senses remain as ever they were and they cannot be dominated. Thus, they are perfectly aware that something is very wrong, although they lack the ability to understand.

One of the last devas to succumb sent the fateful scriptures on the wind, even as reason failed.

A hint of hope: Zuggtmoy’s Gift is is a hive mind who’s center resides within the wasp-queen. If destroyed, the rest of the fungus will become inert and easily exterminated. The wasps will not survive without the aid of greater magicks, for they are essentially living husks, but the angels will regain their minds and may well be inspired by the characters’ heroic deeds to seek goodness and redemption.

Rewards, should the characters deserve them, can range from wealth to powerful alliances. And even, should they choose, friendship.

Remove ads