The EN World IRON DM 2019 Tournament Scheduling Thread

Rune

Once A Fool
Okay, here we go in ten twenty minutes...
The Egyptian Museum in Los Angeles, California is very excited about its latest exhibit, the mummy of Queen Bektamun, the "Masked Queen." But just days before the mummy is to go on display, the sarcophagus goes missing...apparently stolen by the infamous master thief, Walter Good! Their only clues are a soft serve yogurt container left behind at the scene of the crime from a popular dessert shop near the subway, and a tailor's sales receipt for a tan jacket in size 44L...and if the party puts those clues together, they learn that Good's hideout is in the old subway, at Platform 44. The party of detectives must navigate the twisty little passages of the abandoned subway tunnels beneath LA to get Good and recover the stolen mummy.
A City of Mist adventure for 3-5 characters.
Now, had this been a real Iron DM round, I would have been given a word count to stay under, and 48 hours to work on it. So I would have worked these ingredients a lot harder: maybe try to use each ingredient more than once, somehow make the color of the jacket important, that sort of thing. But as it is, I think it's pretty solid for only 20 minutes and 135 words. :cool:

Looks fun. Do note, though, that you’ll only have 24 hours in the first round.

Rune

Once A Fool
Er, no. But I suspect they took inspiration from the same sources I did: real life insect-zombifying fungi (and sometimes other insects).

Except the troll: I’ve been looking for an excuse to use a brown mold/troll symbiote for quite some time. Adding the yellow mold was a twist inspired by the “tan jacket” ingredient, of course.

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Er, no. But I suspect they took inspiration from the same sources I did: real life insect-zombifying fungi (and sometimes other insects with the aid of fungi).

Except the troll: I’ve been looking for an excuse to use a brown mold/troll symbiote for quite some time. Adding the yellow mold was a twist inspired by the “tan jacket” ingredient, of course.

I posit that it's wholly probable that the "someone" in my previous statement is "me" :)

Cordyceps has been a go-to for zombification for a while, I guess (The Girl With All The Gifts, The Last of Us, etc.)

That said, very interesting scenario! I'm already mulling over how I'd judge the ingredient usage

Rune

Once A Fool
So close. So very close.

C’mon, folk! It’s not easy, but it is an immensely rewarding experience.

If you’re on the fence because you’re not sure if you can commit the time, let me point out that part’s actually not so bad. There is a briefly intense burst of time while you are competing in a match, but the matches themselves are scheduled around player availability. And, if you make it past round 1, the time-pressure gets easier, not harder. (Other challenges, not so much).

If you’re on the fence, take the chance. It’s worth it. It really is! Win or lose, you will be better for it!

Wisdom Seeker

Wandering Warrior
Hm.
I've never participated in one of these before, and I usually don't visit this site. But on a recommendation by some of my online friends, I will throw my hat in the ring.

Remove ads