D&D 5E The "everyone at full fighting ability at 1 hp" conundrum

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
That wasnt the rule (are you perhaps remembering a house rule?).

Ah it looks like you were no problem.
There's no way of telling whether your interpretation was the rule either. The DMG flat-out doesn't say, so all we're left with is our own interpretations and house rules.

FYI, here is exactly what the DMG says:

1571351185079.png

See paragraph two. It is pretty clear IMO. The rest is required even if given cure spells and/or healing potions. Only a heal spell will remove it. If the spells are "given to him", he has gained the hp since that is the effect of the spell. Unless it was a heal spell, he still can't do much of anything...

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Some of the discussion from other threads, and my gaming session last Sunday, has had me thinking about this a little more, and why it's problematic.

((SNIP))

So it seems like a paradox of sorts. HP are not just meat or fighting capability, but if you don't act like they are meat in the game, it has a negative affect to game play. 🤷‍♂️

One thing I learned back in the mid to late 80's was this: If the players are really into a battle, don't be afraid to outright tell the players "Oh man, he's down to under 20hp now...!". Why? It gets them excited. Like, REALLY excited! Loud, smiling ear to ear and on the edge of their seat level of excitement. When they are all beat to Hell and back, and it's down to only the Barbarian with his two-handed sword, and the almost dead but still kicking Thief with his Shortbow and 6 arrows...telling the players how many HP their foe has is the right call.

But that's for uncommon situations.

For common, every day battle, again, I've found it best to tell a player that asks 'roughly' how many HP's it has left based on it's total, but I almost never use HP's unless it's a common monster and everyone at the table knows the creature's stats anyway (re: goblins, orcs, kobolds, ogre, etc). I adjust my descriptor and breakdown of HP's based on the PC's class and level. So a 4th level fighter asking about an ogre they've been fighting: "He looks really hurt..multiple deep gashes, favouring his right leg and not swinging so much with his left shoulder...probably under a third HP". Maybe the ogre leader with 80hp max has 5hp left...or maybe it has 25hp. But the 4th level Sorcerer? "He's bleeding all over and is limping a bit, but it's hard to tell...half? Maybe a bit more or less?". By using the PC's Class and Level, it helps drive home that Fighters, while they may not be as smart as the Wizard or as wise as the Cleric...they know wounds, the sound's things make when in pain, and all that other 'battle stuff'. It's their jam, so to speak.

I gave up trying to 'define' any version of D&D's Hit Points decades ago. I just go with whatever seems good at the time. This changes battle to battle, character to character, and campaign to campaign...which is why I go with just accepting that it's part of the "game system" and using it, and the players knowledge of the mechanics, to drive the level of "should we be worried?" at the table. Otherwise you're just "code wording" mechanical numbers anyway (e.g., "At 25% hp it's deeply wounded and weak"...so every time a creature hits that 25% hp, it gets described as 'deeply wounded and weak'...you might as well just stop lying to yourself, accept that it's part of the game, and say "It's almost dead, gushing blood...probably under 20hp").

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
FYI, here is exactly what the DMG says:

View attachment 114946

See paragraph two. It is pretty clear IMO. The rest is required even if given cure spells and/or healing potions.
Where I interpret that as saying that the spells/potions simply have no effect.

It takes a full Heal to wipe this out and get the character full (or very close) and functional.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Odd interpretation, at best. If he's been 'revived' surely his hps are back above 0, or there'd be no need to point out that he remained unconscious for up to an hour.

I guess it's just yet another example of how vague and needlessly complicated 1e AD&D's 'simpler' rules always were. ;P

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin

It takes a full Heal to wipe this out and get the character full (or very close) and functional.

Why would you think the spells/potions have no effect?

If that were the case, no one would give them to him or her in the first place, which would mean there would be no need for the statement, "This is true even if cure spells and/or healing potions are given to him or her,..." in the text.

It would have made more sense, if that were the case, to say "Until the week of rest is finished, cure spells and/or healing potions will not restore hit points to him or her."

Tony Vargas

Legend
It would have made more sense, if that were the case, to say "Until the week of rest is finished, cure spells and/or healing potions will not restore hit points to him or her."
Well, sure, but so, /soooo/, many things could've made more sense if phrased differently....

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, sure, but so, /soooo/, many things could've made more sense if phrased differently....

Well, it made sense anyway... I really don't see why anyone would interpret it otherwise, and I don't know of anyone who ever did (except, of course, now for Lanefan...) shrug

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
See paragraph two. It is pretty clear IMO. The rest is required even if given cure spells and/or healing potions. Only a heal spell will remove it. If the spells are "given to him", he has gained the hp since that is the effect of the spell. Unless it was a heal spell, he still can't do much of anything...
Yeh it basically makes a heal spell to the analog of the Remove Affliction ritual from 4e...

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If it intended the potions to be wasted on such a character wouldn't it have said something? Shrug.

I just think there were tons of components of hit points that explicitly were stuff that could have recovered quickly and could AT break neck instantaneous speed with a cleric involved compared to the time of a few spells cast ... even the modern daily is significantly longer.

Remove ads