D&D 5E The Fall Of The Dwarves: What Races Do People Actually Play?

What races are people actually playing, and how much of it is Tolkien fantasy as against other stuff? Fortunately D&D Beyond provides a better source of data than we've ever had. The most recent data from less than a week ago in December 2020 alas does not provide percentages. Human Half-Elf Dragonborn Tiefling Half-Orc In February 2019, using stats found via this very site: Human...

What races are people actually playing, and how much of it is Tolkien fantasy as against other stuff?

AF4847B0-224A-4E69-B2BA-7ABE6393B9A6.jpeg

Fortunately D&D Beyond provides a better source of data than we've ever had. The most recent data from less than a week ago in December 2020 alas does not provide percentages.
  1. Human
  2. Half-Elf
  3. Dragonborn
  4. Tiefling
  5. Half-Orc
In February 2019, using stats found via this very site:
  1. Human
  2. Variant Human
  3. Half Elf
  4. Tiefling
  5. Dragonborn
  6. Wood Elf
  7. High Elf
  8. Half-Orc
  9. Goliath
  10. Mountain Dwarf
  11. Lightfoot Halfling
  12. Hill Dwarf
Which is a bit of a change from what people were creating in launch month for D&D Beyond (mid 2017)
  1. Human
  2. Elf
  3. Half-Elf
  4. Dwarf
  5. Tiefling
  6. Dragonborn
  7. Genasi
  8. Halfling
  9. Half-Orc
  10. Gnome
  11. Goliath
The percentages are presented in different ways in 2019 and the launch month, with launch month merging the various subraces. So to compare like with like:
  • Wood elves and high elves taken together in the 2019 data are more popular than half-elves (or variant humans)
  • Meanwhile if we split the wood elves and high elves from 2017 they are probably both behind tieflings and dragonborn
  • Dwarves taken together in 2019 are only just behind dragonborn. They've still fallen from ahead of tieflings and dragonborn to behind them
  • Halflings combined in 2019 are neck and neck with half-orcs and ahead of goliaths
  • Genasi combined in 2019 are a little behind goliaths and slightly ahead of combined gnomes
Interesting that dwarves have fallen so heavily out of favour - and half orcs have climbed so strongly into favour; I guess there's been a lot of talk here. The thematics of tieflings and dragonborn (entirely unsurprisingly IMO) have made them core races and even the dwarfs are disappearing in favour of half-orcs (which IMO is a surprise).

G

Guest User

Dwarves need a cosmetic upgrade. They're not as attractive as elves or tieflings. They're not as mighty or exotic as half orcs, dragonborn, or goliaths. Halflings seem to be in the same boat.
By making those races tall? I've watched a great deal more visual media the last several months, than I typically have in the past.

Attractiveness, in western media, is not depicted as short, stout, and hairy.

Slapping some curved horns on dwarves, isn't going to change the dominant cultural paradigm.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
By making those races tall? I've watched a great deal more visual media the last several months, than I typically have in the past.

Attractiveness, in western media, is not depicted as short, stout, and hairy.

Slapping some curved horns on dwarves, isn't going to change the dominant cultural paradigm.
Sadly, yeah, this is a thing. Height is equated with attractiveness. Probably at least in part for instinctive, evolutionary reasons (taller people had better nutrition). I do think more could be done to expand the dwarf beyond the specific cultural preset Tolkien gave them though.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Would be curious if a survey could be attached ranking why a particular race was chosen.

Mechanics?
Visual appeal?
- subcategories of tall/short, exotic looking, prefer as monstrous as possible, has a feature (e.g. a tail) that I like
You've never played this one before?
Story or campaign-driven reason?
- subcategories of this race fits in best with the adventure, this race has a unique place in this world (e.g. dwarves in Dark Sun)
You watched someone else play one?
You're emulating a particular character from a book or movie?
You were influenced by artwork?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Dwarves need a cosmetic upgrade. They're not as attractive as elves or tieflings. They're not as mighty or exotic as half orcs, dragonborn, or goliaths. Halflings seem to be in the same boat.

The issue likely isn't cosmetic.

Dwarves are very traditional. This isn't attractive to people who want to make big advertiser personalities without falling into stereotypical acting or blatant subversion of it.

Halflings have the same issue to a much lesser extent but have mechanical weakness on stop of it.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Would be curious if a survey could be attached ranking why a particular race was chosen.

Mechanics?
Visual appeal?
- subcategories of tall/short, exotic looking, prefer as monstrous as possible, has a feature (e.g. a tail) that I like
- subcategories of this race fits in best with the adventure, this race has a unique place in this world (e.g. dwarves in Dark Sun)
You chose randomly?

I think dwarves are cool because they are the best example true heroes not always have to be Mr & Miss Universe, or a good-looking paladin with a shinning armor. They are noble, brave and loyal.

I would bet if there is a D&D cartoon with shorter humanoids, these may become more popular. Tyrion Lannister is a good example a shorter character also can be very interesting and even charismatic.

ccs

41st lv DM

Mechanics?
Visual appeal?

Most often that one for me.
Sometimes it's "Haven't played this before" or "I just painted up this cool mini". My only Dragonborn was a joke - Gorgira, the fire breathing green dragonborn. Stomping about & burnanating things.

Remove ads

Remove ads