The Fantasy Trip outsells GURPS in 2019?

Sir Brennen

Legend
No. The Legacy Edition changes several mechanics profoundly - the most important of which is advancement.
SJG was borderline deceptive on the KS. It also moves to English Traditional Measure, while the original was metric. Many talents have important wording changes. IQ no longer sets the limit on number of known talents, too. (ITL p.45) Note that the XP per attribute point table is pretty similar, but buying new talents direct instead of increasing IQ becomes useful once the sum of stats hits 37... as a new point of IQ is then 600, while the skill is 500 per slot.

LE isn't a reprint, it's a new major edition change. It's still much lighter than GURPS.
It's all a matter of perspective, of course, but as player of the original TFT (and even just the Melee and Wizard microgames before it came out) and KS backer for the Legacy edition, I find these all minor changes. TFT v1.1, if you will.

I think the only changes that noticeably affect how the game plays are the new Staff spells.

Also, in early 2020, I was running two GURPS games, and played in two more with about 15 players in total. It's only as dead as players let it be.

Yeah, I find that GURPS seems dead from the perspective of most retail shelves, but the fact that I can choose from nearly a dozen new books each year (not to mention the bunch that came out as part of a KS bundle last summer), keeps me happy. Editorial standards remain very high, and I love the fact that they sometimes tackled super-niche material. (I was just part of a playtest of a product intended to provide support for gaming in Indonesia during the Srivijaya period!) Design standards are less laudable, though they do finally seem to be spending a bit more money on new art. Gaming Ballistic is a licensed third-party publisher of DFRPG and TFT material, and their stuff looks good.

The system does still have at least some appeal to new gamers, based on what I've seen at local schools here in Minnesota. The middle school that I teach at owns a bunch of Dungeon Fantasy RPG boxed sets and has a popular gaming club that uses them. I know that a bunch of high school students took up GURPS after that. My elementary school kids haven't had any trouble recruiting players from their classmates. Indeed, my son started a DFRPG club at school last year just before COVID hit. He's hoping to get it running again once in-person school resumes.

I've got all the new TFT stuff but haven't tried playing it yet. I thought I might introduce it post-COVID at my school's gaming club.

aramis erak

Legend
It's all a matter of perspective, of course, but as player of the original TFT (and even just the Melee and Wizard microgames before it came out) and KS backer for the Legacy edition, I find these all minor changes. TFT v1.1, if you will.

I think the only changes that noticeably affect how the game plays are the new Staff spells.
I have run campaigns of the original, and the change to allowing non-stat talent slots is a HUGE change. the slower advancement (double costs) also is significant. The change to UC also is significant for some players
The change from metric to ETM is a truly boneheaded decision of SJ's.

lordabdul

Explorer
GURPS is very much alive as far as I'm concerned (I play it, I know others who play it, and there has been new stuff being released for it every month for years), but it definitely is a "niche" thing. Market share is different from being moribund or not.

That said, I'm not surprised TFT outsold GURPS in 2019. GURPS material are generally small PDFs that cost a few bucks, whereas TFT was a big boxed set that cost more than a hundred bucks. What would surprise me was if TFT also outsold GURPS in 2020.

Jaeger

That someone better
I don't find that particularly surprising given that GURPS isn't nearly as popular as it once was. I wish it were, I like the system, but my players have threatened to hang my by my heels if I ever imposed it on them again.

GURPS like all of its fellow 'toolkit' rpg's, seems to be phasing out of general use in the hobby.

Nostalgia will do that. The KS was very successful. Did not participate.

I played a few games of Melee and Wizards when it originally came out. A fun arena combat system hexes. We looked at the Fantasy Trip RPG but were turned off by the use of hexes for buildings and dungeons. Played D&D Basic instead.

Hexes are one of those things that look really good on paper, but squares have won the war for general play with minis at the table for RPG's. TFT should have went with squares.

GURPS is very much alive as far as I'm concerned (I play it, I know others who play it, and there has been new stuff being released for it every month for years), but it definitely is a "niche" thing. Market share is different from being moribund or not.

That said, I'm not surprised TFT outsold GURPS in 2019. GURPS material are generally small PDFs that cost a few bucks, whereas TFT was a big boxed set that cost more than a hundred bucks. What would surprise me was if TFT also outsold GURPS in 2020.

IMHO, systems like GURPS and HERO have lost out ever since 3e and the OGL/SRD.

TFT is the direction SJGames should have gone in when the D&D OGL came out. (Naturally, very easy to say with 20 years of hindsight of the direction of the hobby...)

Why waste time wading through some "tool Kit" rpg when you can play a complete game with much less upfront work?

Games with an OGL/SRD are the new "gurps/hero" systems.

Except that they are better.

IMHO, they are better in that you have access to several complete RPG's that use the same system often done in different genre's.

So you can play complete games with no upfront work, and see how a given system is adapted to various settings and genre's.

Then for those who are more DiY minded, they can take the OGL/SRD and make the game system their own. And they have plenty of examples to cull from to adapt to their home game.