• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Fighter and Arcana

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Then I'm criticizing the design goals for allowing only a very narrow range of character types.
So you're upset that the standard set of character classes in a fantasy adventure game don't provide you clear direction on how to realize your fantasy chef character concept? Ok.....

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
No. That isn't what I said.
No, but it is what you implied. You're upset that the skill system in a fantasy adventure game won't easily allow you to make a fighter character who also maxes out a skill proficiency. The phrase you used was 'a very narrow range of character types', characterized thus because you can't use them to make a Fighter/Chef instead of a Chef/X. D&D was never designed to create your fighter-chef as a build and I think it's a little bit silly to use that as a measure by which to measure the flexibility of the class system, even more so because you yourself are being quite inflexible about how to get that done.

No, but it is what you implied. You're upset that the skill system in a fantasy adventure game won't easily allow you to make a fighter character who also maxes out a skill proficiency. The phrase you used was 'a very narrow range of character types', characterized thus because you can't use them to make a Fighter/Chef instead of a Chef/X. D&D was never designed to create your fighter-chef as a build and I think it's a little bit silly to use that as a measure by which to measure the flexibility of the class system, even more so because you yourself are being quite inflexible about how to get that done.

I don't remember implying the emotional state of "upset."

I also find it odd in evaluate a game in terms of "class system" instead simply the more broad "system."

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I don't remember implying the emotional state of "upset."
Fine, you were critical in response to a perceived design deficit. Happy? :p
I also find it odd in evaluate a game in terms of "class system" instead simply the more broad "system."
Well, D&D has a class system to silo character skill sets. You're talking about character building, so it makes sense to talk about the class system, i.e. the portion of the mechanics for 5E D&D that govern how a character is built and what skills and abilities they have access to.

Well, D&D has a class system to silo character skill sets. You're talking about character building, so it makes sense to talk about the class system, i.e. the portion of the mechanics for 5E D&D that govern how a character is built and what skills and abilities they have access to.

Perhaps, yet the Player's Handbook describes the character creation process as: "step 1...think about the kind of adventurer you want to play." Then "once you have a character in mind, follow these steps in order, making decisions that reflect the character you want." (page 11).

Yet despite following the stated instructions, I am unable to create the character I have imaged in "step 1."

So either the book is a) internally inconsistent (an indicator of poor design) or b) I'm following the stated instructions incorrectly.

Perhaps, yet the Player's Handbook describes the character creation process as: "step 1...think about the kind of adventurer you want to play." Then "once you have a character in mind, follow these steps in order, making decisions that reflect the character you want." (page 11).

Yet despite following the stated instructions, I am unable to create the character I have imaged in "step 1."

So either the book is a) internally inconsistent (an indicator of poor design) or b) I'm following the stated instructions incorrectly.
Play a human, half-elf, or half-orc and take the Prodigy feat, expertise in cooking tools.

If your dm does not allow tool expertise and only allows expertise in skills, ask them to work with you to find a way to make the concept work.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
That's because you have preconceived ideas about what the mechanics for your concept should be and your concept is plainly outside the genre expectations of the game. No one in their right mind gets shirty because their fantasy adventure game won't let them make the chef character they want without some tinkering. D&D isn't a game about fantasy cookery, or even peripherally about that. Let me give you a very similar complaint to your own:

Oh, D&D is a badly designed game because I can't create my elven fantasy hairdresser without having to take sneak attack or spell casting.

Do you see the problem with that statement? I sure do.

G

Guest 6801328

I truly hope this whole line of reasoning you are developing is meant facetiously.

God save me from a generic game that allows the instantiation of any character concept and the mechanical resolution of any fiction.

Remove ads