D&D 5E The Fighter and Arcana

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
People seem to be focusing on the "can craft a magic sword without training in Arcana" aspect of those rules.

Personally I have at least as much issue with the "can craft a magic sword without training in smiths tools (or equivalent)" aspect.
Oh, I completely agree with that as well.

Ok, so my wizard with Arcana returns from his quest, stokes the fires, grabs his tongs, swings his hammer for a couple weeks or so, and bam! +1 chain mail for his paladin friend who lacks tool proficiency and arcana. :rolleyes:
Face it, the rules are glossed over dung--at best.

Proficiency is only a +6 to the die roll at most. Having it doesn't make you a professional-grade anything, only slightly less incompetent. If I were to pay a chef to cook me dinner, I would hope he would vastly surpass my own abilities. +6 doesn't cut it.
A +6 bonus would put you at the top end of most normal chefs I would imagine.

You wouldn't know what those are just by seeing them on an ingredient list either. The issue in your analogy is I am not there to hand them to you. It's just the recipe telling you what to do with them. You would need to know what they are and where to find them without a store to go to and pick them up.

Just because you can cook stuff doesn't mean you can cook something you've never cooked before using a list of ingredients you don't have and cannot buy. You would need to harvest and prepare those ingredients first. Do that without knowing where to find them, how to harvest them, how to prepare them, and how to preserve them long enough to get them back to your kitchen when you don't even know what they are.

The dwarven smith example has an adventure to complete to get the ingredients. During the course of that adventure the dwarven smith will need to somehow find the ingredients and recognize them, make sure those ingredients are in a suitable condition for use, and be able to transport those ingredients in a way not to ruin them as examples of what one might expect. Proficiency in arcana is not required to make INT checks but adding that bonus improves the likelihood of successfully getting those ingredients in order to craft the item.
I don't think I ever argued that arcana wouldn't be useful - but it's not required. Are you saying it is?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
A top chef would be better modeled by expertise and a reasonable stat mod wouldn't he? So something more like +12 or more? I don't know why we'd consider the proficiency mod by itself when that's not really how 5E works.

What bonus do you believe a professional chef should have, and how would it break down?

A top chef would be better modeled by expertise and a reasonable stat mod wouldn't he? So something more like +12 or more? I don't know why we'd consider the proficiency mod by itself when that's not really how 5E works.

So, in order to be a master chef, one must be a bard, rogue, or knowledge cleric? Odd.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
So, in order to be a master chef, one must be a bard, rogue, or knowledge cleric? Odd.
Or just a chef. Most normal doodes in the D&D settings don't have a class and so don't follow the character class rules. Just a guy who cooks, with the expertise rules to show his mastery of the job. I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to make an issue out of this.

Or just a chef. Most normal doodes in the D&D settings don't have a class and so don't follow the character class rules. Just a guy who cooks, with the expertise rules to show his mastery of the job. I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to make an issue out of this.
Because "master chef who invent to make a dish out of all the monsters" is a great character concept.

Remove ads