• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Fighter and Arcana

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If it is that simple... trolls are hunted into extinction, and everyone has a +1 hammer. The whole "make magic during downtime" has to be consistent with the rest of the setting.
i mean, trolls aren't exactly super easy to kill. Or even find.

A +1 hammer isn't worth it unless youre the sort of person who can pay a group of people who is quite likely to survive a troll encounter and come back with a troll arm, while keeping it from growing a new troll, or you are one such group.

G

Guest 6801328

On a related note, wasn’t there a Kickstarter for a book of crafting? Or am I just wishing it?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
On a related note, wasn’t there a Kickstarter for a book of crafting? Or am I just wishing it?
I considered it, personally. I was going to make the "recipe" book for all the magic items in the DMG and variant rules for crafting them, including DCs, etc.

It would be a HUGE project though, and not something I felt like undertaking solo.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
i mean, trolls aren't exactly super easy to kill. Or even find.

Walk in at appropriate level, knowing you're fighting a troll, with that as your goal? Not really that big a deal. Have the fire and acid on hand, and it's just a thug.

Note that trolls don't have "hide" in their skills. So, if they aren't easy to find, then that means their population numbers are low, and driving them to extinction really won't take that much.

A +1 hammer isn't worth it unless youre the sort of person who can pay a group of people who is quite likely to survive a troll encounter and come back with a troll arm, while keeping it from growing a new troll, or you are one such group.

Note, that kind of regeneration is not in the 5e trolls stat block. They just regain 10 HP a round if they don't take acid or fire damage now. No more growing a whole troll from just an arm.

Those people who are likely to survive a troll encounter will probably make a business out of it, now won't they?

G

Guest 6801328

People seem to be focusing on the "can craft a magic sword without training in Arcana" aspect of those rules.

Personally I have at least as much issue with the "can craft a magic sword without training in smiths tools (or equivalent)" aspect.

Kids these days just use stock removal method, and then mail it off to Waterdeep for heat treat. No smithing required. Sad.

I don't know what those things are offhand, but if you hand them to me and tell me what to do with them, I can cook stuff. Does that make me a professional-grade chef?

Proficiency is only a +6 to the die roll at most. Having it doesn't make you a professional-grade anything, only slightly less incompetent. If I were to pay a chef to cook me dinner, I would hope he would vastly surpass my own abilities. +6 doesn't cut it.

Ashrym

Legend
Proficiency is only a +6 to the die roll at most. Having it doesn't make you a professional-grade anything, only slightly less incompetent. If I were to pay a chef to cook me dinner, I would hope he would vastly surpass my own abilities. +6 doesn't cut it.

Because cooking a professional dinner is a hard task? I'd call that a 15 DC as moderately difficult over standard cooking but not difficult. I wouldn't make him roll to do it, however, unless goblins infiltrate the kitchen and attack him but he continues trying to cook while defending himself. Not needing to roll means he'll do it significantly better than +0 every time. ;-)

I just double checked XGtE for cooks utensils and that agreed with me. A gourmet meal is 15 DC so yes that +6 bonus is a gourmet chef professional.

DC categories scale by 5 so a +5 bonus would indicate a higher degree of ability. Just putting that out there. ;-)

Remove ads