D&D 5E The Fighter: tweaking Indomitable to work in all the Pillars.

Satyrn

First Post
Action Surge is not a combat resource. People USE it in combat, I think because they perceive the Fighter to be about combat, but the ability is not a strictly combat ability, and plenty of players use it for out of combat challenges as well.

I prefer to use the phrase out of combat heroics

Oh, and that reminds me. I also used Action Surge to do silly things during combat without feeling like I "wasted" my turn. Like, use my regular action to secure a rope to a handy for, then swing Tarzan-like through a crowd of enemys, using Action Surge to get in my attack.

Satyrn

First Post
Is there anything which would break or work unusually if we simply added some battle master superiority dice options for out of combat functions? Seems like you could add a die to an ability check pretty easily. In fact, adding advantage to someone else's check AND adding the die seems balanced given the other manuevers available.

I had the thought that we could tie that into the maneuvers the battle master selects. Like, add a note to Menacing Attack let's the fighter spend a Superiority Die to add it to an Intimation check. Pick appropriate skills for each maneuver.

And to address [MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION]'s point that limited resources maybe shouldn't compete for combat and noncombat uses, we can give the fighter a few Skill Dice to use for that purpose. This also let's us reduce the skill bonus to 1d6, and not have the Skill Dice get bigger at higher levels if we think that would be too much.

Remove ads