Spelljammer The Forgotten Realms eats Spelljammer before it even finishes digesting Radiant Citadel!

darjr

I crit!
Good news, for some.
See Spelljammer Xyrixis spoiler.
Hey! If you wanna blow up FR then this Spelljammer set is good to go!

Just delay your players until BOOM and it’s gone!

Hussar

Legend
I mean, probably not. It's not the subject of my Bachelors nor Masters degree. :p

That doesn’t really help your point though.

WotC adventures aren’t really set in FR. The references are superficial.

What about all these references that are explicit in the adventure?

Oh well they don’t matter because I don’t know FR lore.

:erm:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That doesn’t really help your point though.

WotC adventures aren’t really set in FR. The references are superficial.

What about all these references that are explicit in the adventure?

Oh well they don’t matter because I don’t know FR lore.

:erm:
But that's my point preciaely: they are merely Easter Eggs if they can be ignored entirely or brushed over.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
But that's my point preciaely: they are merely Easter Eggs if they can be ignored entirely or brushed over.
What you seem to be saying to me is that what names they use don't matter, references don't matter, setting-specific details don't matter, all that matters is that -you- feel you can easily change these things, and that somehow means the adventure isn't set in the Realms? Is that right?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What you seem to be saying to me is that what names they use don't matter, references don't matter, setting-specific details don't matter, all that matters is that -you- feel you can easily change these things, and that somehow means the adventure isn't set in the Realms? Is that right?
They are just suggestions, use 'em or lose 'em. They don't "matter" anymore than the amount of garlic suggested in a cookbook.

There aren't any complex plots involving absolutely unique elements of the Forgotten Realms in Candlekeep: every reference I can see can easily be changed to something else. Netherese scroll? Make it something from the ancient Nazi empire in Greyhawk, or whatever ancient magical regime that is local to one's homebrew. Yes, this is very doable with Rime of the Frost Maiden...but there are no regional maps in Candlekeep, or major NPCs.

Hussar

Legend
Gods aren’t major NPC’s? Lore of Larue would be pretty hard to play in Eberron. Or Greyhawk for that matter.

The Grippli adventure specifically references FR Yuan-it. As in there are good Yuan-ti in the module. Those don’t exist in Greyhawk. The Night Serpent doesn’t exist in Greyhawk. Nor in Eberron either I don’t think. The whole point of that module is centred around FR lore.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Gods aren’t major NPC’s? Lore of Larue would be pretty hard to play in Eberron. Or Greyhawk for that matter.

The Grippli adventure specifically references FR Yuan-it. As in there are good Yuan-ti in the module. Those don’t exist in Greyhawk. The Night Serpent doesn’t exist in Greyhawk. Nor in Eberron either I don’t think. The whole point of that module is centred around FR lore.
Gods in D&D are the very definition of interchangeable. And "now there are some good Yuant-Ti" hardly seems specific to me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases