The Future of Paramount+

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They're up to a half billion in losses. I get that you like Star Trek, but Paramount+ is not built to last. If even Disney+ is trimming its sales, Paramount isn't going to be able to follow this underpants gnomes strategy much longer.

The good news is that the truly good shows (as opposed to the ones we enjoy despite knowing they're mediocre or worse) will almost all survive, as they'll be picked up by other distributors, as the model shifts to an online version of how broadcast and cable television worked for decades.

There's almost certainly going to be plenty of Star Trek in the future.

MarkB

Legend
880 episodes of Star Trek is enough to watch Star Trek for 35.5 days straight 24/7, if you somehow didn't die.

There is also zillion CSI/NCIS etc...type shows.

Some great sitcoms to. You got also got Halo, although I haven't seen it yet.
In the UK a lot of that content is still available via other providers - the older Star Trek series on Netflix, Picard and Lower Decks on Prime, NCIS on Disney+'s Star channel.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I mean, maybe... but they are coming up against the tough fact that there is a soft limit on how many streaming services people will subscribe to, and streaming just isn't ever going to be profitable in 5th or 6th place (it isn't always in 1st through 4th, but those seem viable long term). They're definitely poised to be a service that lots of people subscribe to for a month or two each year to catch up on the shows they are interested in, but you need to get to the point where people want to be subscribed enough of the time that they are too lazy to unsubscribe even in the months when there's no show they particularly want to watch being released.

Personally it might be the streaming service I have with the most original and exclusive shows I am invested in continuing to watch. The problem is that under that top tier of Trek and an upcoming D&D series and whatever other original stuff you care about and a few Paramount movies the service's content quickly falls to z-grade dreck (in my eyes at least). It's not as much of a "cheap cable garbage Viacom happens to own" dumpster fire as it was a few years ago, but still the pickings for me get pretty slim once I get past the marquee content. So it is a service I loyally return to for the original series but rarely turn to when I just want to put something on for the sake of putting something on.

So the question is not whether Paramount+ has worthwhile original content, but rather whether that content can power Paramount+, the combination of that quality content with all the random crap Viacom bought over the years and doesn't have to pay for, into being the number 3 or 4 streaming service. If not they should just produce content for a service that can get up there in the rankings.
Pretty much this. Last few black Fridays Amazon Prime has offered P+ for two months for 2 dollars. I assume Amazon is picking up the slack, or maybe its a split with Paramount; who knows? Though, those two months are more than enough for me to exhaust anything I want to see on P+. Showtime might give it some more legs but the offerings are still parse despite a few big IPs.

Zardnaar

Legend
I know Paramount equals Star Trek but they also have Survivor. Which is still one if the highest rated shows on network TV.

There may be 800 odd Star Trek episodes but there's only maybe 200 odd good ones.

Treks on othe providers here and the new stuff is free.

well, i dropped paramount plus after the end of picard, I'll resub to it when the next season of halo drops and go from there.

Pretty much this. Last few black Fridays Amazon Prime has offered P+ for two months for 2 dollars. I assume Amazon is picking up the slack, or maybe its a split with Paramount; who knows? Though, those two months are more than enough for me to exhaust anything I want to see on P+. Showtime might give it some more legs but the offerings are still parse despite a few big IPs.
Also, walmart+ comes with a sub for paramount plus

Zardnaar

Legend
well, i dropped paramount plus after the end of picard, I'll resub to it when the next season of halo drops and go from there.

Also, walmart+ comes with a sub for paramount plus

You're paying to watch Halo?

I thought it was OK but it screened here for free on local television app.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
You're paying to watch Halo?

I thought it was OK but it screened here for free on local television app.
Yeah I didn't think much of Halo either. Didn't finish it. I'm not that familiar with the game but those who are don't seem to like the series.

Remove ads