• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The glory of OD&D

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Sammael said:
So, basicaly, you're going to bail out on your players and the current campaign and force them to play in a very limited system that is no longer being made, supported, or played by the vast majority of role-players out there.

Might be fun for a one-off. If you're serious about switching to OD&D as your main system, and I were your player, I'd be dropping out of your game ASAP. That's just... chaotic. But, then again, you've always struck me (from your posts) as a very chaotic and ad-hoc type DM, so it just might be the right thing for you and those players who don't mind.

Umm. actually he is a very orderly and organized DM which is why I'm okay with switching back to OD&D. I haven't had a reason to use the old books for years but I started rereading them last night and damn if it isn't one of the best systems ever created.. I can't see why I ever moved on.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Like many of you I've been reading Diaglo's posts for years. I never gave him much attention and just read over his posts in amusement. But this past weekend I had the honor and privledge of talking to him directly about od&d and I can't believe how wrong I have been. I'm now a convert, I'm killing my current game and starting a new one. We are getting the old books and we are playing like Diaglo intended, 3d6 in order straight down.

I'll also be starting a massive convertion of taking all my d20 stuff and making it work for oD&D. It is the one true game and I am thankful that Diaglo was there to show me the light.
As they say... An open mind is like a parachute, it'll save your life some day.

I have to agree with you. Online the man's just not the same.

But than you meet him in person and realize he's really a nice guy.

And then you dig a little deeper and realize he's one of those scary-smart people without the ego trip. (you should meet his wife. She's truly awesome)

It's sort of like OD&D. At first glance it's tattered, old, and looks like it was written after midnight in someone's basement.

Then you realize it can hold more substance than most paradigms of RPGs published.

I for one am glad we conjured enough of a group to get our own game off the ground. Sometimes you have to trust the fellow and not your eyes.

Last edited:

Ron

Explorer
Crothian said:
Diaglo did. The ease of the old rules and the way minis were used back then. The simple ways new rules can be added on. Diaglo used AoO back then for instance so if I wanted them I still could.

I'm a BECMI D&D player and I am not sure what OD&D can give that BECMI don't already provide. If I recall correctly, OD&D was kind of poorly written and somewhat confusing in many places. I read it to satisfy my curiosity, but I can't really see myself playing it. What exactly you found so compelling?

Treebore

First Post
I just converted to C&C. Close enough for me. After all, several of the people behind the design pulled from OD&D, 1E, and 2E. As well as 3E, of course. It is d20 OGL after all.

But cool! It isn't as if the game isn't fun!

Ds Da Man

First Post
I just picked up Castles and Crusades, and will be converting our group also. I like the more simplistic system, and have grown tired of 6000 feats that I can't remember anywho.

Wow. Besides dialgo's uber social skills, are there any reasons why you're making the switch? You always seemed so vested in the current edition, Crothian.

Remove ads