• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great Conjunction (RPG DESIGN CONTEST)

Wik

First Post
Hm. I like where this discussion is heading!

I hope you don't mind if I drag stuff from your design blog here. I am curious whether other people's magic systems are similar to/integrated into their general mechanics, or if they are separate and different?

My magic system is going to look totally different from the rest of my mechanics, to help it stand apart (and because using the magic mechanics for every action would be too slow); using magic is not like using a sword at all, and I want the player to feel that.

First off, of course I don't mind people bringing up my design thoughts. That's why I put 'em there!

My magic system is, as I said, integrated - they use the same basic mechanic, though there are differences. For example, my skill system is fairly open, and skills improve as you use them. With my magic system, you get a random power, and it is keyed off one of four magical "skills". As you improve that skill, you unlock powers based on your psychic power... as opposed to the skill itself.

So yeah, there are differences, but I think the system is overall "integrated".

(What I didn't want was something like 2e D&D, where the magic system was completely different than everything else, or even Shadowrun, where the magic system used the same core mechanic, but had a huge number of "corner cases").

And, for the record, I'd like to say that everything I say in my blog pretty much pertains to me only; if you're breaking one of my "rules", that's totally cool, because the rules only apply to myself. There are plenty of awesome games that break a so-called rule I've put forward.

Huh. I'm late to the game, but I'm going to ponder this for a few days and see if I can't whip up something suitable within the next month.

Can't wait to see what you've got, Ark!

So right now, my mind is gnawing at a simple problem: shields. I'm thinking that using a shield grants you a roll to avoid the wound when it finally occurs. That's certainly a useful benefit, but I foresee two problems: the more skilled combatant in a melee probably ends up not using their shield at all, and the mechanism extends an already long combat.

Ideas are welcome!

Hm. Why not allow shields to grant you a re-roll? So, if you're carrying a shield and you get hit, you can get a re-roll once per round? Or, if you're using a multi-die mechanic, Shields can simply grant you extra dice.

An easy way to do it would be to have shields simply grant you one extra wound point. If you get hit the first time, your shield breaks.

And another easy one would be to have shields add a flat bonus to your roll to resist wounding.

feuer_faust

Explorer
So, here's a little bit of what I'm thinking. I was a little skittish about posting first because "oh no, someone might take my super-secret idea!" But, I doubt I'm the first to think it up after thirty years of RPGs, so...

Magic in my setting is simply the force of creation. It is shaped not only by the intentions of those who use it, but by how it is used. This is what leads to "breeds" of magic: destructive and evil black magic, healing yet vengeful divine magic, etc etc. It's all the same thing, but certain "reserves" of it have been altered simply by people using it (sort of a magical observer affect).

:)

Wik

First Post
So, here's a little bit of what I'm thinking. I was a little skittish about posting first because "oh no, someone might take my super-secret idea!" But, I doubt I'm the first to think it up after thirty years of RPGs, so...

Magic in my setting is simply the force of creation. It is shaped not only by the intentions of those who use it, but by how it is used. This is what leads to "breeds" of magic: destructive and evil black magic, healing yet vengeful divine magic, etc etc. It's all the same thing, but certain "reserves" of it have been altered simply by people using it (sort of a magical observer affect).

:)

Sounds peachy to me. I'd be curious to see how it turns out in play!

Wik

First Post
Is anyone aware of any systems besides Amber that don't rely on determining the outcome of an action randomly with dice?

There's one by Tracy Hickman that came in a paperback format, based off one of their post-dragonlance fantasy stories. It used a diceless system, but the system described was really just a way to use a d10 without actually having a d10 present, so I don't know if it counts.

There's a western RPG I have kicking around that uses poker dice to determine the effects of your actions. And there just HAS to be one that uses a deck of playing cards (I'd be surprised if there isn't already). Plus, doesn't Ars Magica have a diceless system, using only cards?

Plus, Abisashi is using a system based on Tarot Cards, I think.

So, yeah, there's a precedent for diceless systems, but there's plenty of unexplored territory. I know I have a few kicking around in my head for future competitions...

EP

First Post
Well, if you have some system problems, there's nothing wrong with borrowing.

Exactly. Mine borrows heavily from 3.5 and 4e but with everything switched to opposing rolls. I've always been a fan of actively defending yourself and opposed rolls allow you to always have the possibility of fending off any attack, no matter how slim the chances. It also allows all players to remain actively rolling dice throughout the game.

In this regard, this is where I'm experiencing unexpected issues. There are events and actions in any game that are not opposed by an active character, and so I have to account for these enough in advance to create rules for GM opposed rolls. If you try to bash a door down, the door must resist, but what if you're trying to remember something? Do you roll against a set number or roll against your own memory? And then there's all the stuff you take for granted and never think to account for until it suddenly pops in your head at the last minute. Since it's the first time I've tried to design a system, it's actually an interesting and appreciative experiment.

Halivar

First Post
There's a western RPG I have kicking around that uses poker dice to determine the effects of your actions. And there just HAS to be one that uses a deck of playing cards (I'd be surprised if there isn't already).
Deadlands uses both. Seriously fun. Check it out.

helium3

First Post
Deadlands uses both. Seriously fun. Check it out.

Yeah. I can't remember the exact details but I know they use a physical method for outcome determination. Something about a bullseye, right?

Anyhow, doesn't sound like there's anything out there that's like what I'm mulling around. That's good. Or maybe bad. Maybe it's a bad idea. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads