The Hand of Power (New Base Class)

DogBackward

First Post
Alright, another homebrew creation of mine. This one is a Base Class, based around simple ranged attacks with energy and force damage. Kind of a simplified, non-demonic Warlock, without the invocations.

Any feedback would of course be appreciated. I'm honestly not sure if it's a little under-powered or maybe the slightest bit overpowered.

I also plan on working up a PrC here soon, which will concentrate on using the Powerbolt to enhance melee attacks, instead of only making ranged attacks. I'll post it in the second post as soon as I finish it.

Code:
[b]The Hand of Power[/b]

[b]Class Attributes[/b]
[i]HD[/i]      d6
[i]BAB[/i]     Medium
[i]Saves[/i]   Reflex, Will
[i]Skills[/i]  4+Int
[i]Class[/i]   Balance, Concentrate, Climb, Jump, Kn. Arcana,
        Kn. The Planes, Profession, Spellcraft, Tumble
[i]Prof.[/i]   Simple weapons, light armor

[b]Class Features
Cls  Special
Lvl  Features[/b]
[i]1[/i]    Powerbolt (1p)
[i]2[/i]    Energy Bolt
[i]3[/i]    Powerbolt (2p)
[i]4[/i]    Split Bolt
[i]5[/i]    Powerbolt (3p)
[i]6[/i]    Energy Enhancement
[i]7[/i]    Powerbolt (4p)
[i]8[/i]    Force Bolt
[i]9[/i]    Powerbolt (5p)
[i]10[/i]   Shield of Energy
[i]11[/i]   Powerbolt (6p)
[i]12[/i]   Force Enhancement
[i]13[/i]   Powerbolt (7p)
[i]14[/i]   Energy Wave
[i]15[/i]   Powerbolt (8p)
[i]16[/i]   Shield of Force
[i]17[/i]   Powerbolt (9p)
[i]18[/i]   Force Wave
[i]19[/i]   Powerbolt (10p)
[i]20[/i]   Eternal Power
[sblock=Hand of Power Class Features]Powerbolt
As a move equivalent action, you may call up a bit of pure arcane energy, which surrounds your hand and forearm with a shimmering vortex of power. This power has no duration, but it weakens with each use. When you summon this power, it has a Power rating equal to the number listed in parenthesis. So, at level 3, your power has a rating of 2p.

As a standard action, you may make a ranged touch attack at a range of 20ft, +10ft per Power rating, dealing 1d4 damage per power rating. Making this attack reduces your Power rating by 1p.

At any time, you may take a move action to refresh your Power rating, restoring it to the maximum.

Your Powerbolt deals pure arcane damage, which is not subject to any damage reduction, energy resistance or other effect that reduces damage. It is subject to spell resistance, using your class level as the caster level to overcome it. Your Powerbolt is considered an arcane spell, and is subject to Arcane Spell Failure. The somatic components are simple to use, however, and you suffer no spell failure chance as long as you wear only light armor.

Energy Bolt
When you summon your Powerbolt, you may choose to summon a bolt of pure energy, either fire, cold or elecrtricity. Every use of your Powerbolt uses that energy type. If you wish to use a different type of energy, you must use a move action to refresh your Power and change the energy type at the same time.

Split Bolt
By reducing your Power rating, you may fire multiple bolts at the same time. For each 1p you reduce your rating, you may fire an additional Powerbolt at a target in range. This reduction in Power is applied before you make the attacks, so you will automatically deal less damage. For example, at level 7 you have a Power rating of 4p. You may choose to fire two bolts, reducing your rating to 2p, so each bolt deals 2d4 damage. After you fire these bolts, your power will be reduced to 1p for attacking with your Powerbolt.

At level 7, you may never fire more than 3 bolts, because to fire four bolts would reduce your rating to 0p, which does not allow you to fire a bolt at all.

Energy Enhancement
When you use your Energy Bolt, you may choose to reduce your Power rating by 2p to add a special effect.

Fire
Any target struck by your Powerbolt must make a Reflex save, DC 10
+1/2 your level +your Power rating, or catch fire for one round per Power rating. This fire deals 2d4 damage per round.

Cold
Any target struck by your Powerbolt must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 +1/2 your level +your Power rating, or be Slowed for one round,
+1 round per 2p above one, to a maximum of 5 rounds at 9p.

Electricity
Any target struck by your Powerbolt must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 +1/2 your level +your Power rating, or be Stunned for one round, +1 round per 4p above one, to a maximum of 3 rounds at 9p.

Force Bolt
When you summon your Powerbolt, you may choose to summon a bolt of pure force, either force or sonic. Every use of your Powerbolt uses that damage type. If you wish to use a different type of damage, you must use a move action to refresh your Power and change the type type at the same time.

Shield of Energy
As long as you have your powerbolt summoned, and have a Power rating remaining, you gain energy resistance equal to 2x the Power rating. this resistance applies only to the type of energy you have summoned. Each time your Powerbolt reduces the damage from such an attack, your Power rating is reduced by 1p.

Force Enhancement
When you use your Force Bolt you may choose to reduce your Power rating by 2p to add a special effect.

Force
Any target struck by your Powerbolt must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 +1/2 your level +your Power rating, or be knocked back 5ft per Power rating. They must also make a Reflex save at the same DC or fall prone.

Sonic
Any target struck by your Powerbolt must make a Fortitude save, DC 10 +1/2 your level +your Power rating, or become Deafened for one round per Power rating. In addition, your Sonic Bolt ignores the hardness of any object you attack with it, ignoring up to two points of hardness per Power rating.

Energy Wave
When you use your Energy Bolt, you may reduce your Power rating by 3p to attack all foes in a line. The line extends to 30ft, +10ft per Power rating.

Shield of Force
As long as you have your powerbolt summoned, and have a Power rating remaining, you gain energy resistance equal to 2x the Power rating. this resistance applies only to the type of energy you have summoned. If you have summoned a Powerbolt for force damage, this resistance applies against any force damage you would take. Each time your Powerbolt reduces the damage from such an attack, your Power rating is reduced by 1p.

Force Wave
When you use your Force Bolt, you may reduce your Power rating by 3p to attack all foes in a line. The line extends to 30ft, +10ft per Power rating.

Eternal Power
Your Power rating is not reduced by making Powerbolt attacks. In addition, you may refresh your Powerbolt and change the damage type once per round as a swift action.[/sblock]
[sblock=Powerbolt Feats]Regenerating Powerbolt [Powerbolt]
Prerequisites
Caster Level 3+, Powerbolt (2p)
Benefits
Each round in which you do not use your Powerbolt to attack, or your Powerbolt does not absorb damage from an attacks (if you have the Energy SHield or Force Shield abilities), your Power Rating is increased by 1p.

Extra Power [Powerbolt]
Prerequisites
Caster Level 5+, Powerbolt (3p)
Benefits
When you summon your Powerbolt, you may choose to give it a Power rating of one higher. This power drains away after one round, however, so you must use it immediately.

Power Surge [Powerbolt]
Prerequisites
Caster Level 7+, Powerbolt (4p), Extra Power feat
Benefits
When you summon your Powerbolt, you may choose to give it a Power rating of three higher. If you do, all of the power drains out immediately at the beginning of your next turn.

Extreme Power Surge [Powerbolt]
Prerequisites
Caster Level 11+, Powerbolt (6p), Extra Power and Power Surge feats
Benefits
As a Swift action, if you already have a summoned Powerbolt, you may choose to increase your Power Rating by 3p. If you do, all of the power drains out immediately at the beginning of your next turn, and you cannot summon your Powerbolt for 1d4+1 rounds.

Swift Summoning [Powerbolt]
Prerequisites
Caster level 5+, Powerbolt (3p)
Benefits
You may choose to summon your Powerbolt as a Swift action. If you do, it is summoned with only one-half the normal Power rating, rounded down.

Energy Focus [Powerbolt]
Prerequisites
Caster Level 3+, Powerbolt (2p), Energy Bolt or Force Bolt ability
Benefits
Choose one energy type that you can summon your Powerbolt with. you may choose force or sonic, if they are available. You deal +1 damage per die when using a Powerbolt of this energy type.
Special
You may choose this feat more than once. Each time you choose it, its effects apply to a different energy type.

Improved Energy Focus [Powerbolt]
Prerequisites
Caster Level 5+, Powerbolt (3p), Energy Focus feat
Benefits
When you summon a Powerbolt of the energy type you chose for your Energy Focus feat, your Power rating is increased by 1p.
Special
You may choose this feat more than once. Each time you choose it, its effects apply to a different energy type for which you have taken the Energy Focus feat.[/sblock]

Last edited:

DogBackward

First Post
The Blade of Power (New PrC)

Alright, the Blade of Power is finished.

Code:
[b]The Blade of Power[/b]

[b]Prerequisites[/b]
[i]BAB[/i]     5+
[i]Other[/i]   Caster Level 3+
        Powerbolt 2p
        Proficient with all martial weapons

[b]Class Attributes[/b]
[i]HD[/i]      d8
[i]BAB[/i]     Medium
[i]Saves[/i]   Fortitude, Will
[i]Skills[/i]  4+Int
[i]Class[/i]   Balance, Concentrate, Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Kn. Arcana,
        Kn. The Planes, Profession, Spellcraft, Tumble
[i]Prof.[/i]   None

[b]Class Features
Cls  Special
Lvl  Features[/b]
[i]1[/i]    Blade of Power (Attack)
[i]2[/i]    Shield of Power
[i]3[/i]    Powerbolt (+1p)
[i]4[/i]    Blade of Power (Damage)
[i]5[/i]    Force Bolt
[i]6[/i]    Powerbolt (+2p)
[i]7[/i]    Blade of Power (Energy/Force)
[i]8[/i]    Improved Shield of Power
[i]9[/i]    Powerbolt (+3p)
[i]10[/i]   Blade of Power (Full Attack)
[sblock=Blade of Power Class Features]Blade of Power
To use this ability, you must first summon your Powerbolt. As a standard action, you may make a single melee attack, using the power from your Powerbolt to charge your weapon. Using Blade of Power reduces your Power rating by 1p, just as if you had made an attack with your Powerbolt.
These effects are cumulative, and so is the Power loss. If you use the abilities for levels 1, 4, and 7 at once, for example, your Power rating would be reduced by 3p.

Attack
At level one, you may add an enhancement bonus to your attack roll equal to your Power rating.

Damage
At level four, you may add an enhancement bonus to damage equal to your Power rating.

Energy/Force
At level seven, you may add 1d4 energy (fire, cold, electrical or sonic) or force damage equal to your Power rating.

Full Attack
At level ten, you may use Blade of Power in conjunction with a full attack. However, each attack you make in a round drains Power seperately. So, if you made three attacks that used 2p each, you would lose 6p. If your Power loss would place your Power rating below zero, you cannot summon your Powerbolt for one round per point below zero your Power rating would be, +1d4 rounds.

Shield of Power
Wielding a weapon in one hand and a Powerbolt in the other leaves no room for a shield, so the Blades have learned to focus the energy of their Powerbolt, forming it into a powerful shield. You gain a shield bonus equal to your Power rating as long as you have a Powerbolt summoned.

Powerbolt
The Power rating of your summoned powerbolt increases by +1p at the indicated levels, to +3p at level nine.

Force Bolt
When you summon your Powerbolt, you may choose to deal force or sonic damage, as with the Force Bolt class ability of the Hand of Power.

Improved Shield of Power
At level eight, your shield of power provides a Deflection bonus instead of a shield bonus. In order to provide this bonus, you must summon a force or sonic Powerbolt.[/sblock]

Last edited:

JiCi

First Post
Ok, let me get this straight: instead of taking the usual 2 move actions in a round, I could fire 2 powerbolts, right ?

It seems a bit weird to have an attack as a move-equivalent action. Would it be better to make 1d6 per 2 levels like the warlock's eldritch blast, or even 1d6 per level every 5 rounds like the binder's vestige ?

Herzog

Adventurer
as to the OP:

I'm a bit confused by the lvl 20 'eternal power' ability.
It states that you do not lose power from making attacks.
Do all other actions reducing power (such as multiple bolts) still reduce your power?

Things you might want to think about:
-There are no AC improvements.
-What kind of attack improvements would work on these powers: (Weapon focus:Bolt? )
Herzog

DogBackward

First Post
JiCi
Herzog is right, it takes a move action to call up the power, then you can take a standard action to attack with it.

Herzog
Yes, using Split Bolt, Energy/Force Wave, Energy/Force Shield and the like will still lower your Power rating. That's just so you can't have 10 bolts dealing 10d4 damage at level 20, and that sort of thing.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about AC improvements. If you mean that the class gets no automatic increase to AC, that's because they can both wear light armor, and because it's a ranged class. The Blade of Power, which I'm almost done with, will be a melee-based PrC for this, and will provide an AC bonus, since you won't be using range all the time.

Anything that could modify a ranged weapon attack could affect your powerbolt. Check out the Weapon-like Spells section in Complete Arcane (just before the feat section) that should give you an idea of what you can do with that.

I've had a few ideas for new powerbolt feats while making the Blade of Power, as well. I'll be putting them up when I do the Blade, too.

DogBackward

First Post
Ok, the Blade of Power is finished, in post #2.

I'm thinking about a new Powerbolt feat... would it be too bad to make one that allows you to apply metamagic to your Powerbolt, losing 1p per level it would have been increased? Maybe have it available about level 9 or so.

GreatLemur

Explorer
JiCi said:
Why not make it a full-round action to use the Powerbolt ?
Because using it doesn't expend it completely, but just diminishes it somewhat (until it's refreshed by taking another move action). A 3rd-level Hand of Power, for example, can activate the power as a move action and then fire it once as a standard action in the same round. He can then fire it again the next round with just a standard action (which would then deplete his charge), and use his move action to do something else.

Remove ads