log in or register to remove this ad

 

THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Val The Axe said:
Val pipes up, "Since the pansy here can decipher the runes so well, let him read them TO HIMSELF, and then write the translation out on a piece of parchment, so that we'll have more time to figure out the riddle. We lucked out last time. Once you speak the riddle aloud, I believe we will have a limited amount of time to answer it before these things attack."

GM: Posting on behalf of Respen:


Reacting to the memory of the axe's advice, Respen moves, along with Dewydd, to the Gynosphinx's door, attempting to read the runes. Dewydd makes an attempt as well. Both men read the runes quietly, each man taking in the riddle to himself, without YET speaking aloud.

GM: Dewydd makes his decipher roll. Respen cannot fail the roll. Both men decipher the runes perfectly.


Riddle of the Gynosphinx:
“I am alone in the crowd,
The peak that supports the mountain,
The hand that guides
The weight of the world.
What am I?”

DEWYDD: A thought suddenly occurs to you. ~“This makes me think of a general who led an army I once fought with.”~
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd Moresby

"This riddle reminds me of General Gral Ranen of The Crimson Eye. He was a good man, but always seemed alone despite being surrounded by the company. Even though he was at the pinnacle of mercenaries, he seemed to carry the weight of everyone else under him on his shoulders. Or maybe that's why he did..." I trail off, lost in thought as I reminisce about my first mercenary company that met with disaster in the Gnarley Forest after being ambushed by the Pomarj.
 
Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
"So, you're saying it's a general? --- or a regent?" Tam says, as if talking to himself but loud enough for those closest to him to hear. He then speaks a bit
louder for all to hear,
"Or is it simply a leader, any leader, in general?...pardon the pun."
 
Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd Moresby

Nodding I state, "I believe it's something to that effect. A leader, ruler, commander... any version of those words really, or something they all have in common. The balance riddle was fairly straight forward. The riddle with the answer of 'knowledge' could have been wisdom too. This riddle has enough potential answers that it is highly likely it's something they all have in common." I scratch my chin and frown as I mull it over.
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Dewydd answers the riddle, and apparently, his answer is correct. The door in front of the Gynosphinx opens, as the stone guardian speaks!

Gynosphinx Kith says, "Behold, the next test of doom! Beyond this door lies the Dimensional Desert! Your reward, should you succeed, is The Lesser Key Neteris!"

In front of the party is YET ANOTHER dark, long hallway, which leads into the unknown...

EVERYONE: The clock on your buffs is still ticking! What do you do?
 

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd Moresby

Looking to everyone else I state, "Every hallway so far hasn't been trapped. We haven't ran into traps until we hit the room at the end of the hall... as we each know from our own adventures - this could be to merely catch us unaware. Stay prepared for the unexpected." With that I step into the hallway and carry on down it, stopping at the next door.
 

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
"Well, then," Tam says, maybe with a bit more bravado than bravery, "Then, like the first time, I should lead. I will trust my skills more and be a bit more expeditious than the first hallway."
He then grabs his rapier with one hand and his new acquisition, Darkfang, with the other and heads forth, still carefully examining for traps, deadfalls, or any other potentially deadly surprises.

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 20

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 17

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 32

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 14

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 19

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 23

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 24

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 25

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 16

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 21

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 13

Waynan7 rolls d20+12 = 31

 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Flying, and trying to make the best of the time left on his buffs, Dewydd races down the hallway at full speed, leaving Tam's prudent, albeit painfully slow, caution behind him. Tam shakes his head in disgust, but then, cannot resist a wry grin. After all, while flying, Dewydd is unlikely to to trigger any trap that is based on weight, wire, or pressure. And in the event of a magical trap, Tam would be of little help too begin with.

It takes Dewydd about 30 seconds to make it all the way down the hallway, without incident. It seems that once again, Dewydd has taken on the role of advanced scout.

The door here, at the end of the hallway, is slightly ajar; a bright light peeks through the seem of where the door meets the doorframe. The door handle is very warm, but not hot. When Dewydd opens the door, he is somewhat taken aback by what he sees.

Beyond this door, the sandy wastes of a desert stretch in all directions. The air is stifling and heat waves emit from the scorching sands, obscuring your sight. In the distance, the verdant tops of vegetation can be discerned, perhaps from an oasis.
It’s difficult to determine if this is a chamber at all, or if it’s a portal to an actual desert.

04F30BBA-5B19-4665-B8B5-CFB7E08577FC.jpeg

DEWYDD: What do you do?
 

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd Moresby

Grinning, I mumble under my breath, "I knew I should have prepared Endure Elements today... Ah well! I'll add it to my list of self-admonishments." Closing the door, I fly back to Tam and the others. "I didn't run into any magical traps, but there might still be concern for the more mundane pressure plates, tripwires, and the like. At the end of the hall is a doorway that seems to lead to the desert. I'm more prepared for the cold than I am the heat today... but I should be okay as long as the rest of you are."
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Respen:
"Let's make sure that this desert is actually a desert."
Respen proceeds to the entrance as quickly as possible. However, as they are moving down the corridor to the doorway, he asks Vale to discern whether they are still underground or not, and if they are ascending or descending. He doesn't recall ascending. Perhaps the dwarf knows.

When he reaches the doorway, he does not proceed across the threshold. The other doorways always started an invisible clock; he was not going to make this particular mistake when able to avoid it.

Vale:
Intuits the depth underground that they are as he walks along, ascertaining whether ascending or descending or level. They were considerably underground at the start; he knows that as a starting point.
There does not appear to be a specific roll to ascertain this, although it's mentioned in the same paragraph as Stonecunning. Request DM rolls this; if Search is used per description for stonecunning, then modifier is +5.
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Vale, you can tell without a doubt, that the hallway is perfectly level, and neither ascends nor descends. You are still the same depth underground as when you started.
 

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
Watching everyone just tromping/flying/running down all of these hallways, past and present, ahead of him, Tam mumbles: "What in the Nine Hells am I here for? They surely have no need for a roguish lad like myself. It's a good thing I can kill giants for them otherwise I'm just a tourist here."
 


Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top