THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd
Briefly alighting, I spin on the balls of my feet and leap back into the air toward the sphinx that's on fire. I lash out against it. If it falls, I switch my attention to the sphinx adjacent to it.

Move to flying in K20, just above the fire.
1st Attack (Haste): 22 to-hit. 67 damage.
2nd Attack: 39, crit threat. Confirmed 35. 131 damage.
3rd Attack: 32 to-hit. 71 damage.
4th Attack: 22 to-hit. 73 damage.
5th Attack: 19 to-hit. Miss.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Dewydd launches into the remaining Sphinxes with an identical result as the first time; despite their power, and their sheer evil and hatred, they nevertheless cannot withstand the mixture of skill, magicks, and fury that Dewydd is able to deliver; their forms are destroyed, and their souls are disrupted in but a few, short strokes of his blade.

GM:
Will Save DC 25 for both Sphinxes. (19,32) Fail, Saved.

As Dewydd's blade disrupts their life force, Val once again begins to howl. Of the two souls within its range, however, it is only able to snag one of them. The other soul departs, drawing curses from the sentient weapon!

Val curses, "Flibberdegibbit!!"

Sylvar moves forward upon the advice of Vale.

Vale says, "As long as you don't get too close, you can kill them at will. They are held fast by the holy power of Clangeddin."

Both Sylvar and Vale move to the doorway, and no further; it is entirely sufficient. Sylvar's holy arrows put a quick end to both of the turned Sphinxes, and as their life force flashes outward, Val once again begins to howl.

GM:
Saves: 30,32 (Both saved.)

The axe's curses continue, as it laments losing yet another pair of powerful life forces, which it reminds everyone will now serve the forces of the Lower Hells.

COMBAT HAS ENDED! Everyone, what do you do?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
SUPPLEMENTAL INFO:
Besides the columns, and the grease, and the tattered remains of the undead guardians, this room is pretty much empty. On the opposite end of the room, are a a pair of rune-covered, double doors that are IDENTICAL to the ones on this side of the room.

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd

"Well, that could have turned out much worse! Let's continue moving forward... As my magic ends, I groe progressively weaker in combat. We can come back through after and look for traps and treasure. For now - moving forward and only searching for traps on our path would be the better choice."

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam, seeing the results of Friend Sylvar, Respen, Thallok, Dewydd and Vale's attacks, and the subsequent demise of the undead sphinxes, quietly puts his arrows away, douses his lantern and lets it cool before packing it and sets his bow beside him as he sits himself with feet dangling over the edge. A quietly relieved sigh escapes his lips as his shoulders sag, relieving the built up tension of the battle. He, then, whispers a brief word of thanks to Yondalla before getting up, hooking his cooled lantern onto a belt hook and standing up again along the edge of the pit.
He watches his comrades as they determine the next steps, then slowly climbs down into the pit to join the others. Tam is still strangely quiet. Sphinxes, especially undead ones, unsettled him more than he cared to admit.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM: DM Time Keeping

Despite the way it feels to him, Tam finds that it takes him less than a minute to re-join his comrades, all of whom are waiting for his assistance with the new obstacle: the double doors on the other side of the room.

GM: It took 6 rounds (36 seconds) for Tam to re-join the party.

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd

After tenish seconds of watching Tam sit and dawdle after speed being urged, I shake my head and huff in minor annoyance before flying to the doors and pulling them open. "Prepare yourselves."

At the end of the second round, Dewydd opens the doors.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM: Ok. I will count Dewydd's actions as occurring in the "last second" of the second round.

Dewydd flies to the doors, grasping the handles firmly and pulling. The runes on the door come to life, glowing a bright red! To his surprise, Dewydd is not assaulted by a trap, physical, magical or otherwise; but the doors hold fast, refusing to open, obviously locked by some magical means.

EVERYONE: What's next? Actions which are declared will happen at the start of the third round.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
SUPPLEMENTAL INFO POST:

Buffs that Dewydd cast upon himself:

Fly (Move rate: 90'; see Haste below.)

Haste. (Move Bonus: +30 ft.; Attack/Dodge/Reflex Bonus: +2)

Abjurant Armor (w/ Abjurant Armor, Swift Abjuration, & Extended Abjuration.)

Alter Self. (Lizard Man)

Shield (w/ Abjurant Armor, Swift Abjuration, & Extended Abjuration.)

Dragonskin.

Protection from Evil (w/ Abjurant Armor, Swift Abjuration, & Extended Abjuration.)

Blur.

Buffs that Dewydd cast upon others:

Haste (Kleborn and Thallok)

Buffs from the axe, affecting whole party:

+2 to saves vs. Fear

Buffs from Khubsheth:

Affecting: Dewydd, Sylvar, Respen, Vale, Kleborn, and Thallok:

Geas
+5 bonus to all saves for duration of adventure.

DURATIONS: (As of start of third round)

Haste: 9 rounds.
Fly: Less than 12 mins (117 rounds)
Armor: 24 hours
Shield: Less than 24 minutes (237 rounds)
Alter Self: Less than 120 minutes (1197 rounds)
Dragonskin: Less than 120 minutes (1197 rounds)
Prot. vs. Evil: Less than 24 minutes (237 rounds)
Blur: Less than 12 mins (117 rounds)

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam, immediately comes out of his funk when he sees the glowing doors that Dewydd is trying to open.

"Dewydd! Please stop! I'm on my way!"

Tam finishes packing while on the run to the doors. He grabs one of Dewydd's arms : "Please, Dewydd, let me see what I can do first."

When Dewydd backs away, Tam quickly gets his tools of the trade out and goes to work. Realizing that Dewydd triggered no trap when he grabbed at the doors, he still checks for them all the same. (DC roll: 23)

He then checks the magical aspects of what's locking this door and determines whether simply picking the lock releases it, or if a Dispel Magic while he picks it is required. (DC 11 to determine; DC 15 to pick the lock).

Remove ads