The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Phew. For a minute there I was going to take my and other in heres years of experience, starting with being new players, playing with scores of people in dozens of groups, with a multitude of new players starting across two, three, or four decades into account too. I'm glad we have someone whose own experience is definitive to save us.
That’s how these conversations work. If someone’s experience is different than mine, they must be wrong. It’s how literally every poster behaves.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The only bad part about the OneD&D playtest surveys is that they give us the illusion of control. By participating, we believe--if only a little, if only for a moment--that we get to decide what Wizards of the Coast does with their own products and intellectual properties. The surveys fool us into believing that we have real authority...and the louder we are, the more authority we feel entitled to.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I don't think that's what they're going for. They're going for "consensus."
I've seen the video and I agree, that is what the goal is.

Unfortunately, "we are looking for consensus" telegraphs a message to a certain type of personality: they need to be very loud and very repetitive about things they like, and very dismissive and aggressive toward the things they don't, lest Wizards of the Coast start listening to the "wrong opinions." It's not the truth, but that's the attitude that folks seem to carry. Scanning through a few of the playtest threads here, I get the feeling this approach is generating more heat than light.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

Unfortunately, "we are looking for consensus" telegraphs a message to a certain type of personality: they need to be very loud and very repetitive about things they like, and very dismissive and aggressive toward the things they don't, lest Wizards of the Coast start listening to the "wrong opinions." Scanning through a few of the playtest threads here, I get the feeling this approach is generating more heat than light.
Self fulfilling prophecy. These folks will always consider anything not in their particular interest as some sort of conspiracy.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

Unfortunately, "we are looking for consensus" telegraphs a message to a certain type of personality: they need to be very loud and very repetitive about things they like, and very dismissive and aggressive toward the things they don't, lest Wizards of the Coast start listening to the "wrong opinions." It's not the truth, but that's the attitude that folks seem to carry. Scanning through a few of the playtest threads here, I get the feeling this approach is generating more heat than light.
Applying Mitchell's rant to the situation with WotC and the playtest...that's kinda backwards.

WotC are the people in charge with the money and IP that Mitchell is complaining about. WotC (who have all the power) are looking for a false consensus from the playtesters (who have none of the power). WotC already knows what they want to do and are going through the motions of social nicety to get the players onboard with what WotC has already decided to do. The playtest process is the "tortuous touchy-feely discussion" Mitchell's complaining about.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So, what happens if Elrond suggests Gandalf et.al. take Bilbo to the havens so Gandalf and Bilbo can hop a boat to Valinor with the ring?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The surveys fool us into believing that we have real authority...and that the louder we are, the more authority we're entitled to.
I think we have some authority, though probably less than we think or hope for. But I try not to feel entitled to anything, especially for a product I've yet to purchase.

And to be clear, the last playtest will certainly not be the fully released product. The playtest packet that would make it directly to product would probably be done with a closed team of professional playtesters.

Remove ads