The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Yeah, I know. It feels like a bit of bait and switch.

For the writer nerds, I used to have a subscription to Writers Digest back in the day, so I'm used to all this advice and "I've published two things, so I am now an expert" kind of stuff. But with the ability to self-publish nowadays (mostly a good thing, I think), that changes who can say they're a published author

Yup. I've seen it too, but the person was really thinking it to be true. A person who had quit her job and was starting a business in a field she claimed expertise in, despite never having graduated in a relevant diploma or having working experience of the subject, but who expected to convince clients because she was a published author on the subject. After checking, it was a single self-published book.

and if their version of "make your professional writer dreams come true" is make $100/month (which ain't nothin', let me be clear), it's all pretty strange for me to reengage with after all this time. (My version of "professional writer" is someone who doesn't have to do anything other than be a writer for a living. That probably means technical writing or doing PR or something less than glamorous, but it's writing and it also builds up the skills for fun stuff like fiction or poetry.)

Some explanation besides the revenue from youtube ads: (a) living in a country where 100 $/month actually allows you to live correctly (b) doing some translation/journalism/writing-related jobs as a side that is actually their main activity (c) writing for students.

The (c) is extremely lucrative. There are a lot of students offering payment on dedicated platform to have someone doing their homework, which starts from writing high-school level essays (not lucrative) to master level's thesis [they provide the data and rough notes and expect the rest of the work done for them. It is relatively easy to make a living out of it, at least as good as low-pay jobs like secondary education teaching. I suppose someone with good writing skills could also derive some revenue from it and think themselves as "writers". Same with writing motivation letters for job applications.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
At the most basic level, the definition of a writer is someone who writes. (If you just talk about it, you're not a writer.)

Most novelists nowadays support themselves with other work. One of my favorite sci-fi novelists, Tim Powers, teaches writing at the collegiate level even as he cranks out a full-length novel most years, along with novellas and short stories.

There's no one way to be a writer, and my original post didn't make that clear enough, IMO.

But I am also skeptical of anyone claiming expertise -- in anything -- after doing something for five minutes, which is probably a function of me getting old and crusty.

Hussar

Legend
I keep wanting to offer my opinion about pineapple on pizza or ketchup on Mac and Cheese, but, every time I start typing, this little voice in the back of my head starts telling me that nothing I say will possibly help reduce the tensions, that people have already firmly planted their flags and there is absolutely nothing to be done but step back and watch and wait.

This will all blow over, eventually. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and we can get back to trying to eject halflings from the game. :p

Mad_Jack

Legend
I keep wanting to offer my opinion about pineapple on pizza or ketchup on Mac and Cheese, but, every time I start typing, this little voice in the back of my head starts telling me that nothing I say will possibly help reduce the tensions, that people have already firmly planted their flags and there is absolutely nothing to be done but step back and watch and wait.

This will all blow over, eventually. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and we can get back to trying to eject halflings from the game. :p

But how do you feel about ketchup on scrambled eggs?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I will never get over grown adults losing their minds over a cartoon, especially one that's part of a franchise that's been around 50 years. Your childhood (?) will survive this cartoon, which is just going to be one in a long line for this franchise, extending off infinitely into the future.

Scribe

Legend

There are people at this very moment ready to fight the same battle, to die on the same hill, that pineapple is the greatest topping of all time, and everyone is wrong for hating it.

After over a decade of the 'topping incident' that lead to the division.

It wont blow over for some. Hell, I saw one such soldier in that war drop a note of pineapple support in an ORC thread.

This will be talked about for decades lol.

Hussar

Legend
There are people at this very moment ready to fight the same battle, to die on the same hill, that pineapple is the greatest topping of all time, and everyone is wrong for hating it.

After over a decade of the 'topping incident' that lead to the division.

It wont blow over for some. Hell, I saw one such soldier in that war drop a note of pineapple support in an ORC thread.

This will be talked about for decades lol.
Yeah, I'm really sorry to say that you're right. Unfortunately, this will be one of those things that long after it doesn't matter any more, it will get dragged out, dusted off and refought, over and over and over and over and over again.

Isn't it ever good enough to just take the win and move on?

Remove ads