The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Lots of folks are talking about never being able to trust WotC/Hasbro ever again, and I'm wondering if I ever trusted them in the first place. I've always known they were a business, and how businesses operate, so I guess I've always kept them at arm's length even though I'm a fan.
Parasocial relationships don't have to be limited to other people. Companies and brands thrive on them.

ETA: I mean, it's also literally sports-team fanaticism. "We won the cup!" No, Brad "we" didn't do anything. You sat on your couch and yelled at your TV while the team of professional athletes sweated for hours to entertain you.

Last edited:

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Lots of folks are talking about never being able to trust WotC/Hasbro ever again, and I'm wondering if I ever trusted them in the first place. I've always known they were a business, and how businesses operate, so I guess I've always kept them at arm's length even though I'm a fan.
People are obviously conflating different types of "trust" in these discussions. To my mind, these arguments are perpetuated by a false equivalence lurking in the singe word "trust." It's clear to me that when someone talks about trusting a company, they mean something very different to trusting a loved one or something. But that apparently isn't a universal perception.

Ryujin

Legend
People are obviously conflating different types of "trust" in these discussions. To my mind, these arguments are perpetuated by a false equivalence lurking in the singe word "trust." It's clear to me that when someone talks about trusting a company, they mean something very different to trusting a loved one or something. But that apparently isn't a universal perception.
When it comes to a company you may trust them to keep their word, regarding a product. I trusted them when they said that the online resources that I purchased for 4e would effectively be available in perpetuity. Apparently that only meant until the next edition was released. That's breaking trust.

niklinna

satisfied?
When it comes to a company you may trust them to keep their word, regarding a product. I trusted them when they said that the online resources that I purchased for 4e would effectively be available in perpetuity. Apparently that only meant until the next edition was released. That's breaking trust.
Nothing online is in perpetuity.

Well anyone who was running or planning to run an kickstarter that used the OGL 1.0 trusted Hasbro not to randomly pull the rug from under them. That’s the relevant form of trust here—trust in one’s business partners. At the consumer level, if wotc wants to make dnd a subscription service, they need people to trust the terms of that service before signing on.

This whole thing is such a missed lay up. They have dnd beyond. Make a 2d vtt to go with it. If they want to get fancy, they could try to integrate any of the following: voice and video, twitch integration, discord-esque chat features, more campaign management features, online store for vtt assets, deals with major 3p to sell dnd beyond versions of their products.

Scribe

Legend
This whole thing is such a missed lay up.

Big time, and I think this is what is so bewildering, and why I think that reading between the lines a bit, leads me to just say 'most of what they are saying doesnt matter and is just self inflicted wounds.'

I really think that at a high enough level, people within Wizards are convinced that they screwed up big on the OGL, and they cannot allow it to live.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
This whole thing is such a missed lay up. They have dnd beyond. Make a 2d vtt to go with it. If they want to get fancy, they could try to integrate any of the following: voice and video, twitch integration, discord-esque chat features, more campaign management features, online store for vtt assets, deals with major 3p to sell dnd beyond versions of their products.
Agreed. Literally, all they needed to do was build walls around their premium OneD&D products DDB, VTT, or whatever they're planning; keep the walls up around the choicest setting IP, DMsGuild style; keep on cutting backroom deals with big publishers and creators; and keep their hands off OGL1.0 and the creators relying on it.

They dug too greedily and too deep.

Remove ads