The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Scribe

Legend
The point being lost from the original comic that the Joker's theory is completely wrong

I dont think running around with a bazooka is exactly correct, and I'm pretty sure the end of falling down, hes still seen as someone who's going to jail/wrong? Its been a long time.

The thing about the whole "Films People Miss the Point Of By Rooting for the Villain Protagonist" thing is that I think it often critically leaves out the actual intentions of the filmmaker. I'm not convinced that we weren't supposed to be rooting for Michael Douglas, or the Joker, or Tyler Durden*... I sure as hell don't trust Todd freaking Phillips with that kind of nuance, at a minimum. "Sociopathic White Man" was basically the action hero of the 70's (in case you thought Dirty Harry supposed to be sensible and mild-mannered).

Like, viewed through today's lens, yes, absolutely, all of these men and horrible, privileged, murderous sociopaths, but for some of these films I don't think the problem is "You got the wrong lesson from this movie"; it's more "this movie is just terrible."

*film version only, the book is pretty clear about how it feels
As you go with Douglas, you start to switch from "That was a violent overreaction but I kind of understand being angry" (shopkeeper) to "I hope he gets arrested or shot" not counting the neo-nazi
I mean yeah, its over the top, unless I'm misremembering he fires off a bazooka...but I think yeah its Jokers one bad day.
What's funny is that the kid pointed out to him how to work it, (kid learned from tv)
The point being lost from the original comic that the Joker's theory is completely wrong

Devuall's character even points this out at the end that well, I'll post what he says

"Is that what this is about? You're angry because you got lied to? Is that why my chicken dinner is drying out in the oven? Listen, pal, they lie to everyone. They lie to the fish. But that doesn't give you any special right to do what you did today."

I dont think running around with a bazooka is exactly correct, and I'm pretty sure the end of falling down, hes still seen as someone who's going to jail/wrong? Its been a long time.
He doesn't get the bazooka till near the end, but he does suicide by cop when he finally fully realizes what he's become.

so I made some cyberpunk-inspired and steampunk stuff
00041-2587811340.png

00089-1884702698.png

00021-3360306213.png

Then uhh yeah I dont think he would be seen as the good guy. lol
There are moments when we're "supposedly" able to identify with him like the street that's being worked on.

But depending on how you view him, Foster is either a very dark Anti-Hero version of the Working-Class Hero trope or a straight deconstruction. While he is an educated man, he made his bones as an aerospace engineer working for a paycheck rather than a scientist or an academic. When he snaps after being laid off, he is the Angry White Man personified, raging at a society that left him and others like him behind and treading a very dark path that leaves nothing but destruction. For every cogent point he raises about the world he, the other characters, and the viewer live in, he then proceeds to cast a very dark shadow over it through his increasingly horrifying actions and his pettier and more questionable concerns.

I mean if we're really going to look at then Prendergast, Sandra, Beth, and Adele aside, most of the characters in this film are deeply unpleasant people. Bill Foster was an emotionally abusive husband to Beth and scared her so much that she slapped a restraining order on him. The people he encounters on his journey across the city include Gangbangers, a Neo Nazi, a Phony Veteran looking to mooch off him, a greedy shop owner who won't break a bill for a man in need and overcharges for everything in his store, a restaurant manager who won't give him a breakfast order despite the fact that breakfast only ended a minute prior and they still have breakfast meals warmed and ready to serve, a construction crew screwing up the roads for no reason other than justifying their inflated budget, and a golfer who intentionally attempts to hit him with a golf ball. Even some of Prendergast's colleagues at the LAPD are pricks, especially his captain and Sandra's new partner.

MarkB

Legend
There are moments when we're "supposedly" able to identify with him like the street that's being worked on.

But depending on how you view him, Foster is either a very dark Anti-Hero version of the Working-Class Hero trope or a straight deconstruction. While he is an educated man, he made his bones as an aerospace engineer working for a paycheck rather than a scientist or an academic. When he snaps after being laid off, he is the Angry White Man personified, raging at a society that left him and others like him behind and treading a very dark path that leaves nothing but destruction. For every cogent point he raises about the world he, the other characters, and the viewer live in, he then proceeds to cast a very dark shadow over it through his increasingly horrifying actions and his pettier and more questionable concerns.
Which flew over a lot of peoples' heads. I remember the reports of how many American audiences were applauding him at every fresh outburst, pretty much to the bitter end.

The thing I most remember from the movie is when he runs into someone's house near the end, and he cannot understand why she is panicking and treating him like a bad person - when he is literally standing in her home waving a gun around.

Remove ads