• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
We’d also need “not looking for an argument”
Isn't that what plus (+) threads are for?
and “just want to argue” tags.
Maybe we need minus (-) threads as well?

"I think reading glasses replace arcane foci and be required equipment for all arcane casters! Humanoid eyes are not evolved to spend hours pouring over arcane script every day for years. Prove me wrong. (-)"
At a guess most people starting threads want a discussion, not an argument. But quite a few posters only want to argue, not discuss.
I think you also have the issue that different people prefer different modes of communication and have different tolerances for friction. My wife gets exhausted being around me and certain of my friends. I have certain friends that can get in heated arguments for hours over just about anything and still be friends. Sometimes, I think all that's happening is person A says "I love pineapple pizza." Person B says "gross! Pineapple on pizza is an abomination and should be outlawed." Person A gets upset and chastises person B for yucking on another's yum. Person B gets upset that Person A is upset and thinks its ridiculous to be so sensitive over the issue and offended that Person A is trying to make Person B look like the "bad guy." This is followed by pages of posts of arguing about how each is terrible at discussion.

It is inevitable and unavoidable. I think the (+) threads are best tool at our disposal, but I'm not sure that convention is fully understood and embraced by enough people to be as effective as it could.

MNblockhead

Back in the day, it was common to use the tag [PEACH] when you were looking for feedback on something you had written yourself. Like, "Here's My Homebrew Warlock [PEACH]." I think the acronym stands for Please Examine and Critique Heavily.

It was great for those of us who were actively looking for feedback on something we had created. I feel like it helped cut down on the typical "you're ruining everything!" commentary. I haven't seen that tag get used in more than a decade, though...maybe it's time to bring it back?
Not being aware of this convention until your post, I'd have replied that "I think PEACH is a crap name for a warlock." Luckily, my post would be in the spirit of the thread. :)

MNblockhead

The local Aldi's supermarket has frozen "goat cheese & fig" pizzas. :eek:

I was mildly horrified.
Actually...that sounds like it would be quite good. I'd prefer if the figs were reduced to paste. Layer of fig paste, layer of spicy tomato based paste, melted goat cheese. I think that would work. I'd try it. If it is just full figs or chunks of figs...maybe? Not sure. I'd still try it.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I thought the (+) take was for exactly the opposite. At least in the plus threads I've seen hear, people seem to be using them for discussions that don't involve heavy criticism.
Primarily, at least as far as I've used them, is when you don't want to argue with the basic premise of your thread. Like if you had a thread where you wanted to homebrew a Warlord for 5e, and didn't want a bunch of people flooding the thread with "We already have Banneret/Battle master" or "Warlord/4e is terrible" posts

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Isn't that what plus (+) threads are for?
No. Arguments still happen in [+] threads. There's just some item or thing that's accepted as part of the premise of the thread. Not sure it could be used (or would be enforced) for no arguments.
Maybe we need minus (-) threads as well?

"I think reading glasses replace arcane foci and be required equipment for all arcane casters! Humanoid eyes are not evolved to spend hours pouring over arcane script every day for years. Prove me wrong. (-)"
That's basically every thread that's not a [+] thread at this point.
It is inevitable and unavoidable.
And everyone thinks their opinions are facts, their preferences are objectively correct, etc.
I think the (+) threads are best tool at our disposal, but I'm not sure that convention is fully understood and embraced by enough people to be as effective as it could.
There are a lot of forums out there with well-developed policies on [+] threads. ENWorld, unfortunately, isn't one of them. The mods have repeatedly said they will not make a detailed [+] thread policy because then people would just game it. So, we just have to guess and hope.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Nostalgia is a disease.
Nostalgia is what fuels most things. Especially geek things. Any franchise older than a decade is fueled by nostalgia. Doubly so for anything more than 20 years old. Star Trek, Star Wars, Batman, Superman, superhero comics and films, Aliens, Predator, etc. It’s all still alive because of nostalgia. It’s also the only reason D&D still exists. WotC buying TSR was due to nostalgia. Etc.

Remove ads