• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There are sizable Latino populations in most cities across the country.
Eh, until relatively recently, the "Mexican" food many Americans grew up with was Taco Bell. So people who have only known that, living in Wisconsin or something, aren't under any sort of onus to seek out fish tacos or torta or (deep end of the pool) lengua.

Now, if you grew up in Albuquerque, on the other hand, they should put you in jail if your choice for Mexican food is Taco Bell. (New Mexican vs. Mexican food is a whole other discussion, of course.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Is it bad that my favorite taco in town is the Spicy Chicken one at the Pad-Thai, Street Food, and Noodle Bar place?
Ooh. Nothing wrong with that, or Korean barbecue tacos.

I was said when an Indian-Mexican fusion restaurant that was going to open near me had liquor license issues and just defaulted to Indian food. I was really looking forward to naan bread tacos stuffed with delicious Indian food.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
We have a reasonable amount of good sit down Mex and some ok carryout SW food... I'm not sure of any with drive-thrus.

There is one less than a mile from my dad's ... but he is a 15 mile drive to the WNW from here.
Where I am there's a bigger Latino population than most areas outside the SW. So there are a lot of former fast food places that were taken over by Latino-run Mexican restaurants. Not all of them kept the drivethru, but enough did. I'm not a fan of drivethrus generally, so meh. I'd rather grab-and-go or sit down and eat. If you're lucky, the place will have TV or radio playing from Mexico. On a hot day you can close your eyes and pretend. It doesn't take much.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Eh, until relatively recently, the "Mexican" food many Americans grew up with was Taco Bell. So people who have only known that, living in Wisconsin or something, aren't under any sort of onus to seek out fish tacos or torta or (deep end of the pool) lengua.

Now, if you grew up in Albuquerque, on the other hand, they should put you in jail if your choice for Mexican food is Taco Bell. (New Mexican vs. Mexican food is a whole other discussion, of course.)
No one's under any onus to do anything.

Cuisine from New Mexico vs new cuisine from old Mexico vs old cuisine from old Mexico.

Just as long as it's all fresh, it's fine.

I was said when an Indian-Mexican fusion restaurant that was going to open near me had liquor license issues and just defaulted to Indian food. I was really looking forward to naan bread tacos stuffed with delicious Indian food.
Wouldn't that just be Indian food? Naan plus Indian food is still Indian food. Does holding it like a taco make it fusion?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Wouldn't that just be Indian food? Naan plus Indian food is still Indian food. Does holding it like a taco make it fusion?

I was wondering that myself.
Mind you, my local whole foods regularly has in its prepared food section a thing that is naan folded over some Indian filling (usually chicken Tikka masala or a cauliflower curry). It is tasty enough, but doesn't feel like a taco.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
You don't even have to be in the south west, we got great places in Minnesota!

I went to a conference in Minneapolis about 10 years ago, and the highlight of my trip was an Indian-Mexican fusion place in the basement of the building across the street. The food was okay, not memorable, but the idea captivated me. I'm totally here for tacos vindaloo or butter chicken empanadas.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They had some other stuff they were planning on doing, but they never released the full menu. Something called "Mumbai margaritas," or something similar, was apparently going to be on the menu, which maybe meant a different sweetener than Cointreau. (Mango, maybe?)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Well you're still wrong, but by all means: please type it all up again and post it a second third fourth time.

Maybe it'll magically become correct, through the power of repetition alone.

Remove ads