• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Ryujin

Legend
Ooh. Nothing wrong with that, or Korean barbecue tacos.

I was said when an Indian-Mexican fusion restaurant that was going to open near me had liquor license issues and just defaulted to Indian food. I was really looking forward to naan bread tacos stuffed with delicious Indian food.
Technically I think that every restaurant in my town is effectively Indian-something fusion. The population is more than 40% South Asian and an even larger number of restaurants/fast food places are owned by members of that demographic.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
"I may not agree with this peaceful protest, but I'll fight for your right to---wait, is that pineapple on your pizza?" (pulls out a cell phone) "That does it, I'm calling the police!"

Ack! I just wanted to ignore their posts for a while. This seems harsh for anything, let alone water chestnuts on pizza!

[But yes, imagine a sci-fi show where everyone has their daily hypocrisy number show up bright fluorescent on their forehead ]

Back when we owned a snake, we had the realization that, pound for pound, Taco Bell was less expensive than the food we bought for our snake. It led to the faux slogan: "Taco Bell: It's cheaper than rats!"

What kind of snake did you have? I had a python but never thought of trying taco bell (it only seemed to take to mice)

MarkB

Legend
We have a late entry courtesy of another forum:

The expression is "take a different tack" not "tact" you landlubber. You're talking about direction, not etiquette.
I guess it's just a matter of people hearing these phrases when they're very young, intuiting the context with limited information, and never seeing them written down until their own version is thoroughly stuck in their head.

It goes the other way, too - my dad mentioned that for a number of years in his youth, he thought the word "misled" was pronounced "my-zelled" - he'd seen it written down, had understood the meaning but not the derivation, and was well into his teens before someone called him out on it in conversation.

Ryujin

Legend
I guess it's just a matter of people hearing these phrases when they're very young, intuiting the context with limited information, and never seeing them written down until their own version is thoroughly stuck in their head.

It goes the other way, too - my dad mentioned that for a number of years in his youth, he thought the word "misled" was pronounced "my-zelled" - he'd seen it written down, had understood the meaning but not the derivation, and was well into his teens before someone called him out on it in conversation.
Let me tell you about when D&D 1e brought the word "ethereal" into our lexicon...

overgeeked

B/X Known World
“Never make fun of someone if they mispronounce a word. It means they learned it by reading.” —Anonymous

The first time I said the word gerund” aloud it was in a group of book people, mostly editors, and at least six of them turned in unison and corrected me. It was embarrassing. Then the head of the company dropped that quote on the group. It was a roller coaster kinda moment.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
1715639755705.png

Remove ads