The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Ok, so I know I was downvoting Poutine the other day, but actual folks are protesting a French restaurant in Quebec because of it. These folks think that Poutine was named after Putin. You can't make this stuff up.
I'm going to legally change my name to Bineabble Pleasa and run as a very aggressive politician.

Why? No reason, just remember if taxes go up 50%, it was Bineabble Pleasa's fault.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Ok, so I know I was downvoting Poutine the other day, but actual folks are protesting a French restaurant in Quebec because of it. These folks think that Poutine was named after Putin. You can't make this stuff up.

Actually, the issue was that in French-language spelling, the name Putin is pronounced like "Putain". Putain is a vulgar word, so in order to avoid an international incident, French-language papers refer to him as Mr. Poutine.
The restaurant that claims to have originally invented the dish known as poutine posted on Facebook that they were temporarily renaming it so as not to be confused with the Russian guy. Apparently, they received actual death threats for doing so, although I have no idea whether it was from pro-Russian folks or hardcore foodies.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Actually, the issue was that in French-language spelling, the name Putin is pronounced like "Putain". Putain is a vulgar word, so in order to avoid an international incident, French-language papers refer to him as Mr. Poutine.
The restaurant that claims to have originally invented the dish known as poutine posted on Facebook that they were temporarily renaming it so as not to be confused with the Russian guy. Apparently, they received actual death threats for doing so, although I have no idea whether it was from pro-Russian folks or hardcore foodies.
Wow, still really sad I didnt know it went to death threat level, but honestly that's pretty low for the internets for some time now. :(

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
May the beef of a thousand Tacos curse you!

giphy.gif

Remove ads