The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
To answer your question:
BECAUSE THEY'RE GNOMES.
At least they're not Kenku. There, I said it. Kenku are among the most annoying player races in the history of D&D. The only way to properly play them is to be a professional voice actor or completely ignore the whole mimicing voices part in the real world.

Actually, if a D&D race's name starts with the letters K E N, it's probably one that I don't like.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
At least they're not Kenku. There, I said it. Kenku are among the most annoying player races in the history of D&D. The only way to properly play them is to be a professional voice actor or completely ignore the whole mimicing voices part in the real world.

Actually, if a D&D race's name starts with the letters K E N, it's probably one that I don't like.
I'll be honest, I had to look up what a Kenku even was.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Kenku are pretty cool. I've used them in past editions. 5e added the whole "mimic sounds" shtick which is, you know, whatever.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Kenku are pretty cool. I've used them in past editions. 5e added the whole "mimic sounds" shtick which is, you know, whatever.
I think they're a fine monster (especially if they were fey), I just think that the whole "you only can speak by mimicking others" is a really obnoxious trait for a race to have. And a ton of people complained when Monsters of the Multiverse changed that part of them.

(Was their whole Mimicry feature not a thing in previous editions? I thought they got that from whatever folklore creature they're based off of?)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I think they're a fine monster (especially if they were fey), I just think that the whole "you only can speak by mimicking others" is a really obnoxious trait for a race to have. And a ton of people complained when Monsters of the Multiverse changed that part of them.

(Was their whole Mimicry feature not a thing in previous editions? I thought they got that from whatever folklore creature they're based off of?)
Mimicry pretty much did exist in 3.5e, but they didn't debut in that edition until Monster Manual 3. The 2e Kenku didn't have mimicry that I know of.

Remove ads