The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Well, there's another thread to unwatch because it has devolved into a nitpicky discussion between a few usual suspects.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
9 months after the beginning of the coldest period in the Northern Hemisphere? Who would have guessed? :ROFLMAO:
You'd think, but it's also the most common birth month in Australia. I imagine it has more to do with the holiday season and the end of the year.

In the UK, today (September 26) is the most common birthday.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
So, today, a guy at my company called to tell me that they're closing my location (incorrect) and that therefore this Friday is my last day (incorrect, but stressful), and then my wife sent me a photo of my dog, whose face is swollen on one side.

I'm logging off the Internet for the day to have a lie-down.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
So, today, a guy at my company called to tell me that they're closing my location (incorrect) and that therefore this Friday is my last day (incorrect, but stressful), and then my wife sent me a photo of my dog, whose face is swollen on one side.

I'm logging off the Internet for the day to have a lie-down.
Hope your day gets better.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Hope your day gets better.
I mean, my boss was in the room, and before I was even done with the call was on the phone with his boss to straighten it out. We're down to four guys to service two locations, and they don't want to hire anyone -- makes it extremely unlikely I'm on the chopping block anytime soon.

My dog is probably suffering from a tooth or gum-line infection, since there's absolutely nothing so disgusting he won't put it in his mouth.

But, thanks, yeah, stress enough for the day.

Hussar

Legend
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this. It's not context-dependent, here. The very nature of this specific type of comedy is that it is ambiguous.

It's similar to someone saying that they don't like stories with unreliable narrators because they don't know what "really happened." That's fine as a preference, but that preference precludes the entirety of that form. *
Fair enough. And I agree.

But, you also don't get to complain when people misunderstand your point either. If you are being deliberately vague, even in service to comedy, then, well, you are deliberately making your point obscure, which makes communication more difficult. And since comedy is extremely dependent on culture and language skills, this kind of comedy might not be all that helpful at a given point in time.

And, let's not forget context either. The whole "Oh, I didn't mean that. Why are you getting angry?" line of gaslighting has been used to weaponize being deliberately vague since time began. Which makes it really, really easy for people to get an extra helping of shirty when it gets trotted out. Is someone being clever or arguing from bad faith? That's a really fine line to tread sometimes. Add on to that the fact that written word conversations are massively lacking in nuance which leads to misunderstandings and you wind up with flaming rows really quickly.

Last edited:

Remove ads