The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Ryujin

Legend
My preferred nightly cocktail for the Tortuous Twenties has been:

1 oz. everclear​
1 oz. everclear​
Pour into a chipped shot glass. Add a lima bean.​
Set aside the shot glass and peer quizzically at the lima bean while chugging the rest of the bottle of everclear.​
Add a pinch of Kool Aid, for flavour.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Wait...goblins weren't fey creatures all this time?

Weird.
Don't worry. I'm writing a post about it right now. Long story short, it's because of Tolkien. Middle Earth's Goblins and Hobgoblins weren't considered "Fey", so that carried over to D&D, even though folklore Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears were about as "Fey" as they could get.

Edit: "Goblin" and "Orc" were originally supposed to be synonymous, but the movies and D&D made them different creatures.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Don't worry. I'm writing a post about it right now. Long story short, it's because of Tolkien. Middle Earth's Goblins and Hobgoblins weren't considered "Fey", so that carried over to D&D, even though folklore Goblins, Hobgoblins, and Bugbears were about as "Fey" as they could get.

But, but, Gary said Tolkien didn't influence him that much.

(I'm sorry, I shouldn't have had that Imperial Stout, I can't stop laughing).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing

Edit: "Goblin" and "Orc" were originally supposed to be synonymous, but the movies and D&D made them different creatures.
Huh, that's interesting.

Remove ads