The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Sure is awesome that i don't feel like discussing one of my favorite properties in this board because toxic jerkwads infected the discourse around my favorite part of it with brain worms so any discussion and it devolves into the same dumb talking points about the same entry and it doesn't even make me sad or mad or anything like that anymore, just bored.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The same YouTube algorithm that keeps trying to show me Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan content (no thank you to both) is sure I want to see every Brandon Sanderson video and every video about Brandon Sanderson.

I have never read any of his books. I know nothing about him. It's likely he doesn't belong in the Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan conversation other than the algorithm saying "white guy over a certain age? Show him this content!" But YouTube aggressively chasing me around with "Brandon Sanderson ranks his novels by the difficulty to write them" isn't content I'd ever click on, having not read any of his books, but it also doesn't tell me why I'd want to read any of them.

The algorithm is dumb.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The same YouTube algorithm that keeps trying to show me Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan content (no thank you to both) is sure I want to see every Brandon Sanderson video and every video about Brandon Sanderson.

I have never read any of his books. I know nothing about him. It's likely he doesn't belong in the Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan conversation other than the algorithm saying "white guy over a certain age? Show him this content!" But YouTube aggressively chasing me around with "Brandon Sanderson ranks his novels by the difficulty to write them" isn't content I'd ever click on, having not read any of his books, but it also doesn't tell me why I'd want to read any of them.

The algorithm is dumb.
In this case, the algorithm is actually right, and you should listen. Sanderson is the Fantasy writer of his generation.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, not having read any of his books, I should listen to him rank how hard they are to write?
Possibly, might be juat the taste of his work you need to get started. Barring that, try out Elantris or Warbreaker, theybare great standalone* novels.

*Sanderson has a Steven King style shared universe, but the books remain coherent on their own even if other stuff connects tangentially.

Ryujin

Legend

The algorithm is dumb.
I'm just glad that Peterson was a professor at a different Toronto university than the one at which I work. Given some of the winners I've had to do work for where I am, I can only imagine how I would get on with someone of his "stature."

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)

The algorithm is dumb.
The YouTube algorithm is dumb. I am subscribed to a few things, and mostly I watch Outside XBox and Outside Xtra (highly recommended, BTW, if you want to laugh and veg for fifteen to twenty minutes). So, of course, the algorithm thinks I would like to watch streamer videos of Halo and Modern Warfare, and also I should check out these recipe videos...

Part of the problem is, once you've logged in, any YouTube video embedded in a website or blog post will register your account as having watched it, so it'll feed into the algorithm. In order to groom the results, you'd need to go through your history and delete all references to one-off embedded videos, because there's apparently no way to get YouTube to ignore them (I've checked).

So, there you go.

MarkB

Legend
The YouTube algorithm is dumb. I am subscribed to a few things, and mostly I watch Outside XBox and Outside Xtra (highly recommended, BTW, if you want to laugh and veg for fifteen to twenty minutes).
Indeed, excellent channels.
So, of course, the algorithm thinks I would like to watch streamer videos of Halo and Modern Warfare, and also I should check out these recipe videos...

Part of the problem is, once you've logged in, any YouTube video embedded in a website or blog post will register your account as having watched it, so it'll feed into the algorithm. In order to groom the results, you'd need to go through your history and delete all references to one-off embedded videos, because there's apparently no way to get YouTube to ignore them (I've checked).

So, there you go.
Yeah, that's the problem - you watch an embedded video in a forum thread, or you look up a clip that's totally outside your usual interests because you want to post it as a meme or something, and then related content shows up for ages.

I generally find that pruning them with a few "not interested", or occasionally "don't recommend channel" sorts it out. But then I feel guilty that the algorithm may take those responses as an expression of quality rather than preference, and tank those channels' revenue or visibility as a result.

Remove ads