The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I think its quite possible to get this and also to never see it. Its like the 5 min workday conundrum. Playstyle, frequency, and intensity all will impact how you play the game. The fact that you can not have these issues does not make them not issues is a real problem. Thats why I avoid saying things like "X edition fixed that" because its a subjective viewpoint. I really wish folks would lead with preferences instead of truths. YMMV
This is why when those things come up and I feel like discussing them, I usually start with "I haven't seen that" or "That hasn't been my experience." Especially if someone is talking about those things as though they are inevitable--though "play with better people" isn't necessarily a fair solution ... :LOL:

i like his hat
00216-680234211.png

Thomas Shey

Legend
This is why when those things come up and I feel like discussing them, I usually start with "I haven't seen that" or "That hasn't been my experience." Especially if someone is talking about those things as though they are inevitable--though "play with better people" isn't necessarily a fair solution ... :LOL:

Especially since, in many cases, it translates into "Don't play."

Ryujin

Legend
That's ... rarely my intention, though if someone persistently sees the same problems at every table they sit at, it does seem worth considering the problem might be them.
"Why does everything keep getting so much more difficult?"

"Why does your dice cheating increase to absurd levels?"

Wasn't me. I've had a couple of people accuse me of being a self-hating telekinetic. Eight 1s on a D20 in a row, playing TORG.

Thomas Shey

Legend
That's ... rarely my intention, though if someone persistently sees the same problems at every table they sit at, it does seem worth considering the problem might be them.

I didn't mean that directed at you, per se; I was just noting there's a certain common reaction to the line where social problems and mechanical ones interact that's pretty snarky and dismissive, and seems to be incapable of recognizing that people sometimes play with who's available.

Regarding your comment: yeah, but it may simply be an indicator that you play with people of a similar approach frequently, and that particular problem is a pathology that runs through that approach. The alternative may be a tradeoff of playing with people who don't have the problems you're seeing, but also don't bring the things to the game you find valuable, so...

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I didn't mean that directed at you, per se; I was just noting there's a certain common reaction to the line where social problems and mechanical ones interact that's pretty snarky and dismissive, and seems to be incapable of recognizing that people sometimes play with who's available.

Regarding your comment: yeah, but it may simply be an indicator that you play with people of a similar approach frequently, and that particular problem is a pathology that runs through that approach. The alternative may be a tradeoff of playing with people who don't have the problems you're seeing, but also don't bring the things to the game you find valuable, so...
Or the possibility that you (you, the person having the problem at every table; not you, Thomas Shey) are the problem.

Much of my own gaming life has been shaped by the people who were available for me to game with, so I'm very sympathetic to your first paragraph, to be clear.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'm not gonna be That Guy who starts yelling "I don't see the problem, so it's not really a problem," but I don't get this whole Martials vs. Spellcasters thing. There are lots of threads out there from people trying to fix some kind of power imbalance that they've observed between the two types of characters, so obviously it's an issue. It keeps coming up every few months.

I just feel a little bit left out, like everyone's laughing but I'm not in on the joke. I've played both martial characters and spellcasters, and each has been as underpowered or overpowered as I wanted them to be. I've never seen the problems that folks are trying to fix or the issues they are describing, in spite of countless people "volunteering" to "help me" understand them over the years. I'm starting to wonder if I really am doing it wrong.

1. Fighter rule.

2. Magic users drool.

any-questions-david-s-pumpkins.gif

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

Bard: Hey, Snarf! So you know ... that song.

Snarf: Oh, boy, do I!

Bard: So I made a video for it! I was hoping you would watch it ...

Snarf: .....

Bard: What do you think?

Snarf: .....

Bard: I mean, with all the disclaimers and stuff, no one can possibly interpret those lyrics correctly, right? I'm a rock star. I'm a BARD!

Snarf: ......

Bard: Right?

Snarf: Sure, buddy. Sure.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases