The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Didn't syndication used to require 200 episodes, so that they could run a show every weekday afternoon?
Maybe at some point and in some cases that was true, but (for ex) Star Trek exists today because TOS was syndicated for decades, and it didn't have anything like 200 episodes. I don't think most famously syndicated cartoons had 200 episodes either - the original Scooby Doo, Where Are You only has 25 episodes, although the SD franchise is obviously much, much larger.

EDIT: Wiki has a big fat article on syndication standards over the years. There's no real universal requirement for number of episodes, and several different types of syndication. Worth a dig if you have the time and want to understand how the process worked in the days when both broadcast and cable TV were more dominant forms of media.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Maybe at some point and in some cases that was true, but (for ex) Star Trek exists today because TOS was syndicated for decades, and it didn't have anything like 200 episodes. I don't think most famously syndicated cartoons had 200 episodes either - the original Scooby Doo, Where Are You only has 25 episodes, although the SD franchise is obviously much, much larger.
I may have the number wrong. I know there was a magic number, but it may have been 100 and it probably was something that was only in effect for a certain time period. I do remember shows in the 1980s talking about it in their shows even, when they hit that episode number, often having an in-universe celebration of some sort on that episode, since it meant everyone involved in the show was about to seriously get paid for years to come.

I know there was a magic number, but it may have been 100 and it probably was something that was only in effect for a certain time period.
"Off-network syndication" (which we always just called re-runs as kids) normally called for (quoting the wiki):

"A show usually enters off-network syndication when it has built up about four seasons' worth or between 80 and 100 episodes, though for some genres the number could be as low as 65."

Probably. Kids' cartoons may have called for less going by the assumption that kids are dumb and will watch the same episode more times without noticing, which is typical network thinking - and possibly not wholly incorrect in the days when we had three channels and PBS to choose between. I know I sure watched the same few Space Ghost and Herculoids episodes over and over again when I had the chance. :)

And some shows (like TOS Trek) just plain had enough viewer demand that they got syndicated regardless of episode count.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Elsethread:

The parents of one of my Oregon friends were active in a bunch of charitable projects over the decades, and since they had excellent general contracting and accounting skills, they ended up making connections far and wide. Several times they worked in conjunction with a British-based group. One time the founders of that group came to the US for a combo of business and vacation, and were keen to finally meet my friend’s parents in person.

Now, my friend is one of the best cooks I know, and he got iit from his parents. They put on quite a spread of yummy things to eat using a lot of local products - the kind of thing they loved to eat themselves. Their company tried various dishes and found enough to eat to manage, but none of it was very satisfying. At length, the wife said, struggling to keep disdain out of her voice, “Ah. You Yanks like tasty food.”

Ryujin

Legend
434201680_10160616093052779_1396010492952696721_n.jpg

Remove ads