The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Thomas Shey

Legend
Elsethread:

The parents of one of my Oregon friends were active in a bunch of charitable projects over the decades, and since they had excellent general contracting and accounting skills, they ended up making connections far and wide. Several times they worked in conjunction with a British-based group. One time the founders of that group came to the US for a combo of business and vacation, and were keen to finally meet my friend’s parents in person.

Now, my friend is one of the best cooks I know, and he got iit from his parents. They put on quite a spread of yummy things to eat using a lot of local products - the kind of thing they loved to eat themselves. Their company tried various dishes and found enough to eat to manage, but none of it was very satisfying. At length, the wife said, struggling to keep disdain out of her voice, “Ah. You Yanks like tasty food.”

You can get all kinds of versions of this. I'm told there are people from parts of the country that find the smell of Mexican food actively offputting, I'm guessing because of ingredients that aren't in their preferred pallet and as such they don't associate with good flavors.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Isn't long pork entirely cannibalistic?
Soylent Green Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Jahydin

Hero
I had a few songs by local bands in Seattle I heard and loved as a teenager that stuck with me for years and years, and I couldn't find again, but could recall snippets of and titles in some cases. Fast forward to YouTube launching a dozen years later, and I start checking there. Nothing. But I kept checking back periodically, and lo and behold, they basically all eventually showed up. One of them I commented on the video expressing my pleasure and amazement that it had appeared and I was hearing the full song for the first time in a couple of decades, and the lead singer replied thanking me for the support.

The internet is pretty cool sometimes.
That was me with Buck (grungy pop-punk).

My friends and I rocked this out for years on vinyl and tape. Years later, my tape finally gave out, so went to buy it on CD to find out it disappeared off the face of the Earth. Very grateful to find it on the internet not too long ago!

What are some of the local bands you liked?

Remove ads