• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Larger Failure of "Tyranny of Dragons"

Geeknamese

Explorer
It is very common IME, but then, my players have nearly always been military or veterans thereof, emergency services, or corrections. Or girlfriends thereof, back in the day.

The dynamic at my table is this: my players undertake a goal, and I represent the forces in opposition, and of Nature. I run sandbox play.

I don't care if they succeed or fail; it's not 'GM versus Players'.

I’m really curious after reading your posts. Your type of game is the absolute least favorite type of play that I enjoy but I understand that some folks dig this. My question is this...you seem to put little value on character motivations/backstory/goals or any kind of RP driver beyond “beat mission, collect loot, live”, and you also seem to dismiss narrative as well which includes consequences of actions or inactions in the world that should affect how the players feel. You’re also saying your game is not PCs vs GM.

So if it’s not to tell a story and you don’t care if your players succeed or fail and you don’t care about motivations, ideals or RP drivers, and it isn’t a wargame of PCs vs DM, why do you DM? What’s your fun from the game? I can’t imagine it’s just to roll dice, push minis around and do math.

Do you not think there might be a connection there?!

No.

Don't worry, I expect they feel the same way about you.

I've never worried about what other people think.

Which is fair enough, you can play D&D any way you like. But it does mean that you aren't the target audience for a story driven adventure. A book of tactical scenarios would be more relevant to you.

You don't get it.

I’m really curious after reading your posts. Your type of game is the absolute least favorite type of play that I enjoy but I understand that some folks dig this. My question is this...you seem to put little value on character motivations/backstory/goals or any kind of RP driver beyond “beat mission, collect loot, live”, and you also seem to dismiss narrative as well which includes consequences of actions or inactions in the world that should affect how the players feel. You’re also saying your game is not PCs vs GM.

So if it’s not to tell a story and you don’t care if your players succeed or fail and you don’t care about motivations, ideals or RP drivers, and it isn’t a wargame of PCs vs DM, why do you DM? What’s your fun from the game? I can’t imagine it’s just to roll dice, push minis around and do math.

We don't use minis; everyone at the tab;e has a laptop, and we use VTT.

I run a player-driven campaign, and my players are driven by the four pillars of spite, petty-mindedness, greed, and irrational affections for random NPCs.

I do reward role-play and investment in the game, but those are generally secondary considerations for my players.

Why do I GM? Because it is entertaining.

jasper

Rotten DM
But what did Tyranny of Dragons cost D&D players this edition? As an adventure campaign, it can be tossed aside in favor of one that has been better received ("Curse of Strahd," for example seems to have taken the place as "THE D&D experience" - at least in my local meta). However, it has cost players the official "traditional" published D&D campaign. The goblins and kobolds, the dragons in the name of the game. The traditional high fantasy.
[/QUOTE]
It hasn't cost the players nothing but time. It cost me
Opps One of those prices should not be there. I bought one of the books on sale for Dirty Santa. which hasn't happen yet. Psst no one tell the players showing up to the game.

jasper

Rotten DM
.... You missed the Golden age of Paizo for example (say 2005-2011 or so). You missed Dungeon magazine.....
Thag Jasper sorry he missed Golden Age. Thag was busy with life and lack of gold. Thag remembers Rock age of Judges Guild and AD&D (See thag didn't even have numbers yet).

Remove ads