• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Role The Legend of Vox Machina: Bawdy, Bloody, and Funny

With The Legend of Vox Machina, Critical Role comes full circle from being voice actors playing D&D (first in a private game, then streaming on Geek & Sundry) to an $11 million Kickstarter for an animated special. That success attracted streaming network interest, which then morphed into a 24-episode animated series where they're voicing their own characters.

With The Legend of Vox Machina, Critical Role comes full circle from being voice actors playing D&D (first in a private game, then streaming on Geek & Sundry) to an $11 million Kickstarter for an animated special. That success attracted streaming network interest, which then morphed into a 24-episode animated series where they're voicing their own characters.

Legend_of_Vox_Machina_title_card_2021.jpg

If you've never watched Critical Role Season 1 or read any of the stories, TLoVM the animated series is easy to jump into. Instead of being exposition heavy or thrusting viewers into a lot of world building, it starts with some classic fantasy – especially fantasy RPG – tropes like a drunken bar brawl and mercenaries being killed (a TPK) by a mysterious force. Those scenes are delivered with hefty dose of humor, a bit of blood, and some nudity.

This isn't the '80s Saturday morning Dungeons & Dragons cartoon for kids. While there is gore, it's less than an episode of Invincible and far less than that show's season 1 finale. Similarly, TLoVM has nudity and a bit of sex in the first few episodes, but far less than Game of Thrones.

Vox Machina is an established group at the start of the series, but one that needs money and has a less than stellar reputation. The land of Emon is being ravaged by a mysterious threat. A bit of desperation on both sides leads to the bickering heroes taking the job.

TLoVM is bawdy, bloody, and funny, but it also has heart. The first two episodes tell a complete story with an obvious hook at the end that leads into the rest of the episodes – and a stinger hinting at new threats.

Legend-of-Vox-Machina-premiere-date-Critical-Role-Amazon.png

The animation style has clean lines with some anime influence, but nothing excessively intricate or artsy. At the same, the art direction has style, like a scene that adds interest to the characters walking by showing it through a spider's web dotted with raindrops.

The first episode establishes the eight members of Vox Machina quickly with the following episodes building nicely upon each character's traits. Matthew Mercer voices several of the supporting characters, but in this format he doesn't have to cover all of the NPCs. The guest star talent includes David Tennant, Stephanie Beatriz, Tony Hale. Felica Day is the voice of a bandit.

And if they don't sell a stuffed toy bear version of Trinket at some point, Critical Role is missing out on a merchandise opportunity. TLoVM hits the perfect sweet spot between making Vex's companion bear fierce in battle, amusing when waiting, and adorable the rest of the time.

No critic has been given advance access to the entire first season, let alone all 24 episodes, so it's impossible to say how well the entire story arc plays out, but the first few episodes are entertaining and well made.

Critical-Role-Cast-Photo-2019-Anna-Azarov.jpg

You don't have to be a fan of Critical Role to enjoy The Legend of Vox Machina, but if you're a fan of fantasy adventure, TLoVM might turn you into Critter. The Legend of Vox Machina debuts on Amazon Prime on Friday, January 28, with the first three episodes. Critical Role will be holding watch parties on their Twitch channel at 7pm Tuesdays.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

mewzard

Explorer
In the original streaming show, IIRC,

before entering Whitestone Keyleth turned into a large bird and Scanlan rode her to survey the city from their air, hidden by Greater Invisibility cast by him. During this time they find out about the zombie giants.

Showing that in the animated series might have helped sell them as more capable, but it also would have eaten up time and gotten rid of an opportunity for the whole group to react to the sudden appearance of an imposing variety of foe.

That's true. The main issue of condensing a fifteen episode arc that varies between two hours and forty-eight minutes to four hours and forty-one minutes into an eight to ten episode arc of twenty-ish minutes is that it requires a lot of knowing what to shift around, what to cut, and some good stuff get lost. Some of the smarter decisions end up getting cut for time. Not all of them, no doubt, but the one you spoiler-marked is a good example.

But the main difference is also, the animated version is also one where they're a fresher, less experienced group together. The stream, it was episode 24. After they had also played at home for many years.

It's telling the story of the arc, but also having the group come together better over time, the individual characters have their own little moments of growth and struggles. It makes sense to do that for the first season, let them come back in the second season as a more realized group, and stronger people overall (both in terms of self and power set/consistency).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Also, it's a TV show, Rules of Drama >>>> Rules of DnD, especially since we're not explicitly given their character sheets. They'll never show the casters sling as many spells as casters of their supposed level can sling.
I am not sure having the bard do nothing in a fight is dramatic. It isn't for me. Did Scanlan do anything in the last episode during the fight?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
This feels really nitpicky. Almost every show ever has it's protagonists change in power and intelligence level from time to time...

I think it's partly a function of how they seem to be trying to show the variance of table play but in the cartoon.

Best example (for me) is Vax's lockpicking. He picks the big imposing door nobody else can open - with a toothpick. Then in a later episode, he's completely stymied by a regular door - even though he's using a full set of lockpicks.

Now, in the game, we KNOW what just happened. He rolled high for the big imposing door and low (maybe even a 1) for the regular door. We've all been there and it's relatable, understandable and funny.

But in the cartoon, without the framework of the game - it comes off as absurd.

I think that's one of the disconnects.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
I pretty much agree. I can rationalize it, since I often adjust the narrative to suit the dice in my own games. That is, if you roll really low when lockpicking perhaps the lock is fancier than you suspected, as opposed to your otherwise capable adventurer coming down with an acute case of incompetence. It's certainly possible, since they never do say what quality the lock is, and it makes narrative sense for the lock of a prison to be especially tricky or enchanted (Cursed, as Vax says). But that's just making up bull after the fact.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The two lock scenes are a split up version of the one REALLY long locked door scene that's one of the more beloved scenes from CR1, IIRC.

Something like that. And to me, it coming from seeing CR1 it was funny. But I think without the background it comes off as really odd. And if not that scene, others like it where the group shifts from super competent to completely incompetent, seemingly at random.

Bolares

Hero
I think it's partly a function of how they seem to be trying to show the variance of table play but in the cartoon.

Best example (for me) is Vax's lockpicking. He picks the big imposing door nobody else can open - with a toothpick. Then in a later episode, he's completely stymied by a regular door - even though he's using a full set of lockpicks.

Now, in the game, we KNOW what just happened. He rolled high for the big imposing door and low (maybe even a 1) for the regular door. We've all been there and it's relatable, understandable and funny.

But in the cartoon, without the framework of the game - it comes off as absurd.

I think that's one of the disconnects.

Thoughts?
I get where you are coming from. But I kind of don't subscribe to the idea that shows need to make sene or be consistent all the time. If a show keeps entertaining me, I'm good with it.

Remove ads

Remove ads