TSR The Lost City - Goodman Games Next Classic TSR Adventure Revisited

From their GenCon Livestream on Facebook, Goodman Games has announced the next of their Original Adventures Reincarnated will be 1982's The Lost City by Tom Moldvay. This follows the big hardcovers of Into the Borderlands, The Isle of Dread, and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

17084.jpg

The Lost City takes place within a massive pyramid in a city buried in the desert, and was originally a 32-page module. Goodman Games takes these old modules and presents the original plus a 5th Edition update and other materials in a big compiled hardcover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galendril

Explorer
I love the idea of updating classic D&D modules for 5e. But, I hate the fact that Goodman Games wastes pages on reprinting them verbatim and then the updated version. Anyone who wants the old modules can get them easily enough. So far, it's been a hard pass from me. I want to see a lot more creativity. Instead, I see GG cashing in on nostalgia.

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
This is one my favorites and an underrated module from the B/X years. I guess as long as these are successful, they will keep doing them, but the price point is a turn off for a module I already have and conversions I can do myself. Still, I am happy people are enjoying these blasts from the past.

Interesting!

This was the first D&D adventure I ever played, so it certainly has a special place in my heart. So I will definitely see about picking this up.

Also, I've been working the past several months on a series of adventures/sourcebook concerning the Lost City for DMs Guild I'm hoping to get out soon. However, I'm focusing on building out the actual Lost City rather than the temple (which, amusingly the original adventure entitled "The Lost City" actually had very little to do with the city itself - but still an awesome adventure!) and leaning very heavily on the dream aspects of the Cynidiceans.

Either way, I'm excited to see what they come up with, especially if they do try to make more sense of the lower levels.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Oh, when I saw this on Twitter, I thought of the Forbidden City. Either way, both are great choices and I have used both in my Egyptian-themed part of my setting :D
I remember detailing and adding to the dungeon levels for this module.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I will say, I am not all that thrilled with how they are taking these classic modules and putting them in 400 page books though. That's just too much. Defeats the purpose of modules (short one shots).

I don't necessarily agree that modules are short one shots. Keep on the Borderlands and many other modules from that era are really mini campaign settings. One could have several sessions working through one of those. Still, I'm really put off by 400 page hardcovers. I do wish the 5Eized versions and maybe some additional content was available in a smaller format. I suppose I could get it in PDF form but still... that's a LOT of extra shelf space.

Koren n'Rhys

Explorer
I love the idea of updating classic D&D modules for 5e. But, I hate the fact that Goodman Games wastes pages on reprinting them verbatim and then the updated version. Anyone who wants the old modules can get them easily enough. So far, it's been a hard pass from me. I want to see a lot more creativity. Instead, I see GG cashing in on nostalgia.
See, I'm the absolute opposite. If this was merely a 5e update, I'd never even look at it. The appeal of the Goodman books is the reprint, plus the essays just as much, if not more, than the 5e stuff and expanded content (which I can use running it in either version). I'm buying a retrospective coffee table book to enjoy, not just a 5e adventure.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This is a great choice, given that they're expanding the content in each of these, and large portions of the city are left vague. It'd be great to see them go back to the inspirational material -- Lieber's Quarmall, which they are certainly familiar with -- when fleshing out the city.

I do think we're going to get Palace of the Silver Princess at some point, but I'd really like to see Castle Amber one of these days.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is a great choice, given that they're expanding the content in each of these, and large portions of the city are left vague. It'd be great to see them go back to the inspirational material -- Lieber's Quarmall, which they are certainly familiar with -- when fleshing out the city.

I do think we're going to get Palace of the Silver Princess at some point, but I'd really like to see Castle Amber one of these days.

Yeah, I grabbed an old copy of B4 at Half Price Books a while ago, and have considered running it in 5E sometime: if the expansion is...well, expansive, this might still be worthwhile.

B3 is soooo perfect for their format, though, with the wacky publication shenanigans. I would love being able to compare the two versions, and get an expanded 5E version.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases