D&D 5E The Magical Martial

dave2008

Legend
I don't see how this is responsive to my point. Which is this..if reality is what you are expecting, the fantasy genre is a weird place to go looking.
I disagree. The vast majority of fantasy settings are mostly roughly analogous to the real world. Why would anyone expecting something different?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I find that if what makes something mundane/magical/supernatural/extraordinary/ x-factor/incredibly special/or whatever term we want to throw at it (the term doesn’t make a difference anyways)…

I find that if that is determined by the fantasy setting then I’d be perfectly happy with that.

But that then begs the question what is d&d’s base fantasy setting like or at least intended to be like - and it seems fairly clear that it’s modeled mostly after our real world with some exceptions. I don’t think there’s a way to get around that.

I’m all for other settings for y’all that want them, but it’s still going to be a chore to reconcile the basic d&d rules to any such setting - to such an extent I don’t think it’s feasible.
The isue is D&D is based on our world and well beyond it to the world of legends, myth, and religion.

D&D goes up to the point that its warriors fight the lords of Hell, the half divine demigods, and the avatars of full gods.

So no matter what you have to imagine a knight getting powerful enough to 1v1 the Devil in a fight.
Meaning they are a crazy anime character or a superhuman with superpowers or the luckiest SOBs on the planet.

I say allow all three. Players have agency over their PCs.

dave2008

Legend
50 Strength is the range of the divine. Demigods and gods.
Says who. And even if that is the case, what level would that be?

And can't PCs be divine, there is a long tradition of it in D&D.

Is the line for you when mortals transition to gods? Is that the only time heroes get to do extraordinary or if you prefer superheroic things?

dave2008

Legend
I say allow all three. Players have agency over their PCs.
I just want to point out that I have never denied that you can play all three.

Now I will say that I have never allowed mortal players in my games to be able to successfully challenge demon lords, archdevils, and the like. I know that is not very D&D of me, but to me those beings are outside of what is possible to fight (mostly).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Says who. And even if that is the case, what level would that be?

And can't PCs be divine, there is a long tradition of it in D&D.

Is line for you when mortals transition to gods? Is that the only time heroes get to do extraordinary things?
That line is level 20.

In D&D, every humaniod above level 20 is supernatural and likely manipulated or transformed by the gods or the planes.

dave2008

Legend
That line is level 20.

In D&D, every humaniod above level 20 is supernatural and likely manipulated or transformed by the gods or the planes.
Thank you for tour response!

I'm fine with that (as I have mentioned several times) and it makes sense with most of the history of D&D. Not sure why it took so long to get there.

No that is not the line I use in my games, but it seems perfectly reasonable.

I disagree. The vast majority of fantasy settings are mostly roughly analogous to the real world. Why would anyone expecting something different?
Lotta hedging we're doing with

"Majority"
"Mostly"
"Roughly"
And
"Analogous"

Another way of saying this is ..
"The vast majority of fantasy settings are different from the real world"

Which is a true statement..and the characteristic which defines those settings as fantasy settings.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The isue is D&D is based on our world and well beyond it to the world of legends, myth, and religion.

D&D goes up to the point that its warriors fight the lords of Hell, the half divine demigods, and the avatars of full gods.
Being able to fight something insanely powerful and supernatural doesn’t require one to be supernatural.
So no matter what you have to imagine a knight getting powerful enough to 1v1 the Devil in a fight.
Meaning they are a crazy anime character or a superhuman with superpowers or the luckiest SOBs on the planet.
or just a human fighter. What’s the devil doing that requires anything more?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Thank you! I'm fine with that (as I have mentioned several times). Not sure why it took so long to get there.

No that is not the line I use in my games, but it seems perfectly reasonable.
Because play above level 20 isn't supported so no one was discussing it.

The premise of the thread was to bring that line down to level 10 in order to justify remaining rigid with the rules and handwaving what the rules abstract means.

Remove ads