The Mandalorian makes me want to play Star Wars again

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I've run a long (level 1 to level 12!) Star Wars Saga campaign back in the day. Fond memories.

The Saga system was pretty good IMO. It's about as complicated a d20 system I would want to run (it's simpler than 3.5 IMO)... but it had a few flaws. The numbers started getting weird at high levels. And while there obviously were some simplification efforts going on, it still was needlessly complex and fiddly at times.

So this idea that "you now, you could do it like 5e!" keeps running in my head. I could have classes and subclasses instead of talent trees. I could tame the runnaway numbers. Maybe make the tech a little simpler.

It's totally doable. But it's a lot of work. Is it worth it? Any Saga lovers have an alternative?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Someone on here was doing this, but it was far too different from Saga for my tastes.

I’d honestly posit that you can just gut the numbers and replace the PC math with bounded accuracy, enemy math with a couple charts based on CL, and then it’s jsut a matter of consolidating feats and talents that are basically just garbage taxes and traps.

Zardnaar

Legend
I tried it last year and added 5E bounded accuracy.

Skill focus feat becomes expertise a'la 5E.

Some of the feats and talented need to be revised. I let the players suggest 5E equivalents I think the nobles inspire ability became a 1d4 a'la bless.

Mandalorian armor is in Knights of the Old Republic.

Terrible system though.
IMG_20191126_203538.jpg

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I was joking, posted the entire line.
I think I have about half of it?

Something I did not anticipate is how important space battles became in the game. We had almost as many space battles as "land" battles. It's something of a challenge though to have each PC/player feel important though - the pilot, the gunner and to a somewhat lesser extent the captain have exciting roles, the others are very meh.

Nebulous

Legend
I think I have about half of it?

Something I did not anticipate is how important space battles became in the game. We had almost as many space battles as "land" battles. It's something of a challenge though to have each PC/player feel important though - the pilot, the gunner and to a somewhat lesser extent the captain have exciting roles, the others are very meh.

Were spaceship minis necessary for the game or could you do without props? I know that with my indulgent mini addiction I would have to have the plastic props :(

Nebulous

Legend
I ran d20 Star Wars briefly in-between a Cthulhu campaign and the release of 4e, and dropped it like a bad habit when D&D came out. I mean I liked it fine, but it wasn't perfect, and the Force powers were probably too strong, and getting shot by a blaster seemed to take a PC out immediately. I never tried the Saga system, but damn the books looked great. The kind of books I would love to have all shiny on my shelf even if I never used them.

Remove ads