The Mandalorian | Official Trailer | Disney+ | Streaming Nov. 12

Zardnaar

Legend
I am pretty sure he was the first guy to be frozen in carbonite with the machine Lando had. It didn't sound like it was supposed to be used for that. Wether freezing people in carbonite was never done before I don't know. But I kinda doubt it was something commonly done.

It's not something that was done that often in Legends. In the RPGs it was suggested as a way to use ancient Sith in the modern era.

Morrus in the old legends Fett survived the Sarlacc. In the new stuff they've refused to confirm Fett's dead and his movie probably turned into the Mandalorian show.

Mandalorians haven't changed that much between the old 90s depictions and the new. They could fight Jedi and generally lost to Masters. The only real difference was culture on Mandalore when they were used in The Clone Wars. And they kind if retconned that in Rebels.

They're more or less space Spartans.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I think this is set after RotJ. Part of me wishes they’d just said it was Boba Fett, escaped from the Sarlacc Pit.

Right there with you.
It's not something that was done that often in Legends. In the RPGs it was suggested as a way to use ancient Sith in the modern era.

Morrus in the old legends Fett survived the Sarlacc. In the new stuff they've refused to confirm Fett's dead and his movie probably turned into the Mandalorian show.

Mandalorians haven't changed that much between the old 90s depictions and the new. They could fight Jedi and generally lost to Masters. The only real difference was culture on Mandalore when they were used in The Clone Wars. And they kind if retconned that in Rebels.

They're more or less space Spartans.

I'll always think of Canderous Ordo when I think of Mandalorians. That guy lived for a good fight.

MarkB

Legend
I am pretty sure he was the first guy to be frozen in carbonite with the machine Lando had. It didn't sound like it was supposed to be used for that. Wether freezing people in carbonite was never done before I don't know. But I kinda doubt it was something commonly done.
It was, at least, established as a workable process, to the extent that Threepio thought he'd be very safe in there, providing he'd survived the initial process.

Perhaps carbon freezing is commonly used on living beings - livestock or slaves - and the only reason it was considered dangerous on Bespin is because that particular facility wasn't designed to handle live cargo.

Mercurius

Legend
I think this is set after RotJ. Part of me wishes they’d just said it was Boba Fett, escaped from the Sarlacc Pit.

I'm mixed on this, and thus probably agree with the "part of me" part.

On one hand, Boba Fett was an icon of my youth and I always loved the idea that he survived the Sarlacc Pit. On the other, it might ruin the mystique if he survived. As a general rule, bringing back dead or missing characters usually seems to have less of an impact than just leaving it mysterious. It is sort of like discovering "Terra Incognita" and then realizing it was more interesting and mysterious when it was unknown.

That said, I suspect the Mandalorian will at least give us hints. Either the main character himself will mention his "prior life" and drop hints that could be interpreted as him being Boba, or they'll mention Boba at some point. I also wouldn't be surprised if Boba turns up as a crime boss.

I suppose we could also read into their choice in setting it between episodes 6 and 7, which allows them to have a youngish Boba Fett. If we assume that Boba was 30-40ish in ROJ (he had a reputation and had presumably been around for awhile, so probably not younger than 30), he'd be 60-70ish in episodes 7-9 and thus definitely not playable by Pedro Pascal. But given that Pascal is 44, he could reasonably play Fett in an age range of 35-50ish.

Zardnaar

Legend
Fett was around 32- 34 in RoTJ. 22 years passed between RotS and RotJ.

I can't quite recall the time between AotC and RotS. A slightly older Fett makes an appearance in The Clone Wars.

Mercurius

Legend
Fett was around 32- 34 in RoTJ. 22 years passed between RotS and RotJ.

I can't quite recall the time between AotC and RotS. A slightly older Fett makes an appearance in The Clone Wars.

Thanks. My point stands, then. Fett would be at least 35 in the Mandalorian, depending upon how long after RotJ it is set (assuming that's when it is set) - making Pascal the right age (he's 44). That could be coincidence, or it could be deliberate.

Now if we find that the Mandalorian is set closer to eps 7-9, Fett would in his early 60s making Pascal the wrong choice. but Werner Herzog?

Zardnaar

Legend
I think I read the Mandalorian is around 6 years after RotJ. It's set after the collapse of central authority.
So I would expect it it to be set closer to RotJ than TFA.

But yeah Fett wouldn't be to ancient.

In the old EU Fett had numerous disguised and sets of Mandalorian armor.

Never really thought about the Mandalorian might be Fett.

I don't expect a Fett appearance/reveal season 1 anyway.

Mercurius

Legend
I think I read the Mandalorian is around 6 years after RotJ. It's set after the collapse of central authority.
So I would expect it it to be set closer to RotJ than TFA.

But yeah Fett wouldn't be to ancient.

In the old EU Fett had numerous disguised and sets of Mandalorian armor.

Never really thought about the Mandalorian might be Fett.

I don't expect a Fett appearance/reveal season 1 anyway.

See, it just keeps improving the probability.

If Boba was 32-34 when he "died," and the Mandalorian is set 6 years later, he'd be 38-40. Pascal is 44. Very close.

(I know I'm reaching, but it is fun speculating).

Zardnaar

Legend
See, it just keeps improving the probability.

If Boba was 32-34 when he "died," and the Mandalorian is set 6 years later, he'd be 38-40. Pascal is 44. Very close.

(I know I'm reaching, but it is fun speculating).

I don't mind speculation.

I can't remember if Bob's was 10 or 12 in AotC and I can't recall the exact timejump between AotC and RotS.

Remove ads