The mandalorian [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebulous

Legend
Past bad into downright dumb. He's left them with bad guys in just about every episode since he took baby Yoda. Not only that, but for an experienced bounty hunter, he's trusted underworld people multiple times now, when he should have known better since before he became a bounty hunter.
yes, he puts an awful lot of trust in underworld thieves and cutthroats doesn't he?

You forgot the people in the bar in episode one, the bounty hunters he killed after rescuing baby Yoda, the attackers in episode 4, the guy who hired him in episode 5(he knew what would happen) and the Mando he tried to kill in episode 3.

He didn't really try very hard to avoid killing people who were trying to kill him until this last episode, which is why it made very little sense.

This is why episode 6 really bothered me. First of all, he goes after each and every scoundrel that betrayed him when he already has them locked up. If he wants them dead, that is some what understandable... but he doesn't kill them. So what was the point? If you have full control of the prison ship, and you have them all locked up, just leave and get them all arrested.

I would have been fine with him killing each and every one of them, and was confused when the episode ends with showing them all alive.

EDIT:

I have just finished watching season 4 of the Expanse, and without spoiling anything, this is what I mean with good plotting. The Expanse is full of unexpected twists and characters making competent decisions. I can never see any of the complications coming nor how the characters will overcome them, which makes for a very exciting watch.

Last edited:

I think the character development may be a little too subtle for you, then. We've discovered that the Mandalorian has serious doubts about his faith. We've discovered that the Mandalorian was a ruthless killer but is no longer. We've discovered that the Mandalorion is pretty much ready to risk everything over a baby Yoda. If you can't tell where these beats came from, you might have missed a few things in the writing.
Not trying to speak for the other guy you're arguing with, but you can see those things and still find them somewhat obtuse and wonder where they come from. That IS a writing issue; the motivations of the characters is not very clear, it doesn't make sense why they do the things that they do, and the characters in general don't have much charisma or chemistry with each other. They're hitting plot beats, and you can see the plot and character beats, sure enough. But there's a sense of meta-ness to them that you can't see past very well, because you can't feel any sense of connection to the characters or their motivations or the plot beats. Of the two reasonably big problems I have with the show, that's certainly the biggest one. And it's not a show ruiner, but what it means is that The Mandalorian is pretty good, but a long way from being GREAT.

Mallus

Legend
That IS a writing issue; the motivations of the characters is not very clear, it doesn't make sense why they do the things that they do, and the characters in general don't have much charisma or chemistry with each other.
Whose motivations aren't clear?

And are you suggesting Mando doesn't have chemistry with Baby Yoda?!

Zardnaar

Legend
Baby Yoda was a foundling so was Mando.

He's both ruthless thats character building.

He's not invincible. He's vulnerable. He's never claimed to be the biggest badass in the galaxy no one else has either although the Mandalorians have a reputation.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Any new parent figures out that once a child is mobile they are tiny little escape artists. They don't need 50 years of life and force powers either.

Heaven help Mando if the Child can pull its own diaper off.

pukunui

Legend
I watched chapter 7 last night. Good thing Christmas is coming up. Otherwise it would be a long wait for chapter 8!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads