The Moral of the Story Is....Maybe there's such a thing as (D&D being) too big

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I wouldn't worry about M&M specifically -- the 3rd edition of M&M is completely divorced from the 3.5 SRD, which they had to do to get the DC license.
Checking my copy of the DC Adventures Hero's Handbook, the OGL listing (p. 275) has the 3E SRD and the Modern SRD in its Section 15.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I wouldn't worry about M&M specifically -- the 3rd edition of M&M is completely divorced from the 3.5 SRD, which they had to do to get the DC license. It could easily be moved to the ORC and built on there -- it's even further from its 3.x roots than Pathfinder 2e is.

I get your point, though, and have no arguments about the rest of it. It's stuck in the same "will they sue if we proceed?" dilemma the rest of the hobby is in, ORC or no ORC.
I’m hoping for a Supers AGE game myself.

Greggy C

Hero
I vaguely remember little snippets of conversation, regarding why people were happy about D&D's popularity - anything from feeling less ghettoized to the potential benefits that would be reaped: movies, tv shows, and simply more D&D all around.
The moral of the story is that youtubers, streamers, tweeters, creators, will go where the money is.
They were quite happy to never make a video, promote, supplement any other product except 5e.
Until the crowd moved away from 5e.
Even now, is there promotion of other products on this forum? No, its just all 5e OGL threads lul.

Well, it IS a Tale as Old as Time......

Sure the game was popular in the late 80s/early 90s, for the gamers. The "world" hardly noticed.
Late 90s was a wasteland, but, eh, we had the rules so, game on
2000s it explodes again, everyone loves the game again. Even the novels take off like rockets. Borders has HUGE cardboard castle displays. Comic/game stores are EVERYWHERE..even the Malls(remember Malls?) Soon enough even "non fans" know about the game too.
2010 things slow down again...4E is not all that great. Comic/game stores close by the hundreds. Book stores like Borders are gone. Novels slow down to a trickle. Everyone knows about "that D&D game" it seems....
2020 5E has brought the game back, though all the stores are gone...we have online.
And..well today

I vaguely remember little snippets of conversation, regarding why people were happy about D&D's popularity - anything from feeling less ghettoized to the potential benefits that would be reaped: movies, tv shows, and simply more D&D all around.
Hey buddy some of us were always a little concerned about this, the problem was, whenever we said anything along those lines were characterized as hipsters who "only liked that band before they sold out, maaaaaaan".

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Even now, is there promotion of other products on this forum? No, its just all 5e OGL threads lul.
To be fair, when I scroll down the last ten days or so on the ENW homepage, i see articles for for LevelUp and WOIN, of course, as well as a couple for Blade Runner, one for Vaesen, a beautiful looking indie called "Fragments of the Past", one for Warhammer; not to mention the usual features overviewing crowdsource projects and recent in-print releases.
In addition to all the OGL news, obviously.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
To be fair, when I scroll down the last ten days or so on the ENW homepage, i see articles for for LevelUp and WOIN, of course, as well as a couple for Blade Runner, one for Vaesen, a beautiful looking indie called "Fragments of the Past", one for Warhammer; not to mention the usual features overviewing crowdsource projects and recent in-print releases.
In addition to all the OGL news, obviously.
The OGL forum sure has a lot of OGL threads in it though.

In all seriousness, I do find it interesting how all the OGL talk has squeezed out 6e talk. Maybe this will affect it's success.

Remove ads