D&D 5E The more indomitable Fighter?

Krafus

First Post
I've read in several places that the playtest version of the fighter's indomitable ability was more powerful than the version that appears in the Player's Handbook. If this is true, then as someone who loves fighters, this makes me sad. However, all is not lost – I might someday convince a DM to let me use the stronger version, or I might insert it in a campaign of my own. On the other hand, the D&D team must have felt they had good reason for depowering indomitable. With that in mind, I'd like to know the following:

1) If you participated in the playtest but don't have a copy of it, what was, in your own words, the stronger version of indomitable?

2) If you do have the playtest documents, could you post the exact wording for the stronger version of indomitable?

3) Do you agree or disagree with the depowering of indomitable, and in either case, could you post your reason(s)?

Thank you in advance.

Arutar

First Post
Well, I don`t recall the exact wording, but the playtest version simply gave the Fighter Advantage on all saving throws, permanently.

I love the Fighter class myself, but that was indeed too much and needed some adjustment.

All in all, the live Fighter still looks great imo, but is not overpowerd.

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
I'm tempted to have Indomitable on a short rest basis rather than a long rest basis. Either that or make it into an auto-succeed Legendary Resistance type of thing.

I also wish they put action surges, second winds, battlemaster maneuvers, indomitable uses, etc. into a single pool of points so that the player can determine what to use based on the needs of the adventuring day. I haven't run the numbers so I don't know if this change is balance. Also, I get the feeling a lot of players would end up spamming action surge until they ran out of points, which would be a boring outcome. But I'm still wishing for more flexibility.

Ashkelon

First Post
All right, permanent Advantage on all saving throws does sound a bit much. Thanks to all who answered.

Permanent advantage on saving throws really isn't all that great. If you have 10 Wisdom and are facing a DC 19 Wis save (dragon's fear, lich's dominate, wizard's hold person, etc) advantage only brings your chance to save up to 19% from 10%.

The monk's proficiency in all saving throws (and ability to spend ki to re-roll) is much better.

Remove ads