D&D 4E The New Monster Math, Explained and Expanded

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
"What's with this New Math?" is a fairly common topic, so I'm posting an explanation and a contribution of my own to give inquisitive folks a hand.

The Explanation: The New Monster Math was introduced with the MM3, and is designed to make monsters [more] threatening. You can read WotC's new damage chart in the DMG errata pdf, which boils down to "8 + level damage for standard monsters, 25% to 50% more for high damage attacks and upper caste monsters."

My Own Contribution: I find the single damage chart, and the second half of that advice frustratingly vague. So I spent a few hours to write damage charts for every monster role and caste and added it to my personal monster-making guide, Marvelous Monsters. (Attached below.)

MarMon has a few other useful tidbits, like a new role and caste, but other things in it are incomplete. You've been warned!

Updated 5 April, 2012: After play testing, I changed the mechanism by which elites and solos ignore hindering effects. This one is more satisfying for everyone at the table!

Updated 15 April, 2012: Added an up-to-date glossary of monster terminology. Added comments about the swarm and insubstantial keywords.

Updated 4 July, 2012: Added the 'Use or Lose' recharge variant, plus some more charts for fun!

Updated 14 July, 2012: Added stuff, reorganized document for convenience.

Attachments

• Marvelous Monsters.pdf
    184 KB · Views: 837
Last edited:

Nice work.

I was wondering, though, if there should be damage modifiers if a condition lasts more than 1 turn (save ends) and whether controllers should get any bennies for that kind of thing.

I've seen controllers as low as 8th-level dishing out at-will attacks with immobilize (save ends) ... at full damage.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Nice work.

I was wondering, though, if there should be damage modifiers if a condition lasts more than 1 turn (save ends) and whether controllers should get any bennies for that kind of thing.

I've seen controllers as low as 8th-level dishing out at-will attacks with immobilize (save ends) ... at full damage.
Good question. My current rule of thumb is "recharge effects end with a save, and equivalent at-will effects end on the target's turn," but this might change as I keep experimenting with home brew monsters.

As to controllers, here's how I think of it. A controller should either have a simple go-to control mechanism, like the Distract ability I wrote up in the pdf, or extra strong control powers.

For example I've been writing my own rendition of beholders and illithids for an upcoming one-shot. I normally prefer artilleries, brutes and skirmishers because they don't require finicky effects, but these two monsters just scream CONTROLLER! So I created a kind of condition track for mind-frak powers that my beholders and illithids will use. Instead of a power saying "the target is dazed/stunned/dominated," the power inflicts special tokens on the target. As the target accrues tokens, I upgrade the bad condition. In this way, weak beholders and illithids (minions and goons) can exist alongside stronger monsters (elites and solos) without any of them becoming redundant, overpowered or underpowered.

I even invented a new condition that's basically dominate+! Originally I had both at-wills and recharge powers dealing these tokens, so that some would end automatically on the target's turn and some on a save, but I think that'd be too much of a bookkeeping hassle. So I'm currently working out exactly how I want to implement these powers.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Nice job! I have to say though that the formatting bothered me so much, I reformatted it for myself. Let me know if you'd like me to re-post it here as a .docx.

Remove ads