The next two phases of the MCU

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Shiny!

Antman & Wasp - I think Antman is underappreciated, plus that's where we're expecting Kang. Going be big.

Secret Invasion - where's Fury been?

Guardian's of the Galaxy vol 3 - These have consistently hit right notes for me. Can't wait.

LOKI season 2 - I quite enjoyed season 1, except that it seemed out Trickster was all out of tricks. If they've listened to fan feedback (and why wouldn't they), this should be great. Come on, it's Tom Hiddleson - I'd watch it anyway.

The Marvels - big on my list. Liked Captain, loved Ms. I just hope they keep to each of their strengths and not just a buddy movie.

Agatha: Coven of Chaos - I really enjoyed WandaVision. But Agatha was a good-not-great part of it. I get she was a fan favorite, let's see what it brings.

Daredevil: Born Again - the Netflix Daredevil, s1, was fantastic. I hope, hope, that they keep up that energy. D+ has a good track record, but this was birthed elsewhere and has a legacy.

Captain America: NWO - We've got Val and USAgent and this should be quite interesting.

Thunderbolts - I only know about them tangentally, but villains-as-heroes could be done well.

4 - Torn. It's had so many bad implementations. And comic nor Saturday morning cartoons was it my favorite. Except for the Blue-eyed Ever-lovin' Thing. IF they do him right.

Avengers: * - trotting out the team (or is that The Team) for something too big for anyone else. Well, that's why they were formed. Let's see the set-up in the others.

I see MCU as it's own subgenre now, and part of that is long term storytelling which I literally cannot get in any other series of movies to this degree. Eternals was a little early for me to return to the theaters, but every other one I've see in the cinema, and I plan to continue.

The Marvels - big on my list. Liked Captain, loved Ms. I just hope they keep to each of their strengths and not just a buddy movie.

Don't forget the 3rd member of that group: Monica Rambeau.

Captain America: NWO - We've got Val and USAgent and this should be quite interesting.

Thunderbolts - I only know about them tangentally, but villains-as-heroes could be done well.

Pretty sure Val is forming the Thunderbolts, so expect Walker for sure, and likely Zemo and Yelena and a bunch of others we may not have seen on-screen yet.

I expect, with Ms. Marvel already mentioned, that they'll be introducing the larger world as they go through the phases. It would be very easy to blame this on the un-Snap. Or maybe the Multiverse.

Monica, in WandaVision, was very vaguely hinted at as being a mutant because her several trips through the Hex awakened her powers, like how the bangle activated Kamala's latent powers. Them having their next appearance in the same film together may go into more of just what happened to both of them.

I'm probably just feeling negative, but my takeaway from this is the lack of cohesive plot. Phases 1-3 had a very clear story of introducing the Avengers and dealing with the Infinity stones. It was what held the MCU together. You could miss movies here and there and still hang on to the central narrative. It was clear what movies were the main plot points (Avengers) and which were bonus stories.

This is all disconnected and weird. Something about multiverses, I guess, but also mutants? No ensemble piece until two at the very end? I have no idea what movies have the main plot or what matters at all. And I guess tv series are critical now, too?

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I'm probably just feeling negative, but my takeaway from this is the lack of cohesive plot. Phases 1-3 had a very clear story of introducing the Avengers and dealing with the Infinity stones. It was what held the MCU together. You could miss movies here and there and still hang on to the central narrative. It was clear what movies were the main plot points (Avengers) and which were bonus stories.

This is all disconnected and weird. Something about multiverses, I guess, but also mutants? No ensemble piece until two at the very end? I have no idea what movies have the main plot or what matters at all. And I guess tv series are critical now, too?
Phase IV does seem a bit meandering. We might have a better idea of things after Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania next year, which introduces Kang to the films, presumably leading through Phase V and VI to Avengers: The Kang Dynasty.

Remove ads